2003 plugs blowing out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What kills me is after bullet proof 5.0/5.7 engines that started in 1963 I think. This is fords wonder child. First too short threads, how much more would it cost for 1/4 inch of thread. Then a self destructing spark plug/ cam phasers/ crap tensioners. You know the problem with all this is we keep putting up with it, and keep buying them. Like I commented before, more people are going back to older models. Kind of makes you wonder what garbage is next. How about a total plastic engine that comes with a large tube of glue in the tool kit. Next will have an electric tow truck and driverless robot to take us home, when we brake down. How's that for a Sunday rant. Yeah a snickers bar sounds good right about now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ltmark

Reaction score
Good Day. I have a 2003. Just read this post. Going to the doctor in a few. I will write more this evening. I am very familiar with the plug blowing issue. Mine has blown 2 and I still have the car. 186 K on it now. Will explain later.

ltmark

Reaction score
I'm back. I have a 2003 Expy AND a 2012 Expy. The '03 blew #3 plug (and threads) out at about 60K. #7 blew at about 67K and then #3 (with Helicoil) blew out again shortly thereafter. Both are Helicoiled and #3 was re-seated and Loctite applied a second time. No other problems hence and it now has 186K. I did a LOT of research on the issue at the time have always been surprised that Ford never admitted any fault. The cause was a head manufacturer metalurgiy issue and it was resolved sometime around 2005 production. Surprisingly, most problems were within the first 40-65K and most involved 2 or less cylinders. Now, when I say Helicoil, I mean the single unit type with the fairly large Lip at the top edge (NOT the "coiled" steel type). This makes it easy to seat all the way without risking it sinking into the cylinder. If the sparkplug gets stuck, the plug then comes out with the helicoil attached and is easily separated when out and the I install on the plug as a unit and then replace into the head together with loctite.

There are several options as good or better than Helicoil. The problem is the absolute criminal design of the '03 engine compartment. As you know, the #4 and 8 plugs are nearly impossible to get out (but doable after experience). If either of those 2 sparkplugs blow, it's VERY difficult to repair. Ford eventually discovered that removing the BODY to replace the heads was more cost efficient than removing the engine from the bottom, or front.

Before I bought my 2012, I checked to make sure there was enough room to work on the engine before I purchased!

Bottom line, ALWAYS use Anti-Seize on the plugs and use red Loctite if one blows and a Helicoil (or similar) repair is done.