2003 plugs blowing out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

larryjb

Reaction score
How much of a problem is the plug blowing out issue? Is the Time-Sert truly a permanent repair? I may look to get a 2003 Eypy.
Larry

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Plug blowing out is most common on the first gens. 2nd gens have the 3 piece plugs that breaks inside the cylinder head. If ever, get the 2005 model year.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Plug blowing out is most common on the first gens. 2nd gens have the 3 piece plugs that breaks inside the cylinder head. If ever, get the 2005 model year.

AGAIN SOME BAD INFORMATION FROM docraymund The 2003 and 2004 Expedition have the 1 piece plugs

NOT ALL 2GENS have the 3 Piece plugs

Someday I hope he gets his facts straight.

Also it was in the 2005 Model year that Ford used the 3 piece plug

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

larryjb

Reaction score
Snicker snicker,
I've been on this forum about a week and even I know the new plug design came out in 2005.

Not many 2005's available, or they're pretty junky or rebuilt status. So my question remains, how much of a pain are those pre 2005 plugs?

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've never heard of a Time Sert failing. Mine has lasted over 20k miles. I've only had one plug blow out in almost 150k.

xfiles67

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Doesn't answer your question but, we've been rolling around in an '03 for 5 months now and the plugs haven't blown yet!

krakoosh

Reaction score
Plug blowing out is most common on the first gens. 2nd gens have the 3 piece plugs that breaks inside the cylinder head.

:think:

I've had one in for 80K now. Just put new plugs in it right away if you get one. The originals would back out over time, piss poor design.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

larryjb

Reaction score
:think:

I've had one in for 80K now. Just put new plugs in it right away if you get one. The originals would back out over time, piss poor design.

This suggests that if I were to retorque them each year I'd probably never have a problem, unless the soft aluminum threads in the head get compressed from compressional forces on the plug.

Larry