2007 rocker panels gone

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Underdog66

Reaction score
Rockers aren't "cosmetic". Hiding the rust isn't the way to fix it.

Not sure if you're referring to me or not, but mine are the outer skins, not the inners. The inners are fine. I am not 'hiding the rust' , I am repairing it. ;-)

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update on mine is in the last month mine are bubbling out and leaving rust tracts down the running boards. They are falling into pieces all of a sudden. I'm reading about people with 2014s that have their panels rusting through. My aunts 08 is starting to have big holes right through the bottom of them. Their 14' is also bubbling and rusting down there. Ford did a terrible job with these panels I'm going to have to get a newer truck after this winter. Beware if you live up north because these trucks still use the same weak, garbage panels. To replace them is more than the truck is worth. Oil and rust proof treatments won't help it will still rust out talked to people who did it and it made zero difference on theirs.

Last edited:

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update on mine is in the last month mine are bubbling out and leaving rust tracts down the running boards. They are falling into pieces all of a sudden. I'm reading about people with 2014s that have their panels rusting through. My aunts 08 is starting to have big holes right through the bottom of them. Their 14' is also bubbling and rusting down there. Ford did a terrible job with these panels I'm going to have to get a newer truck after this winter. Beware if you live up north because these trucks still use the same weak, garbage panels. To replace them is more than the truck is worth. Oil and rust proof treatments won't help it will still rust out talked to people who did it and it made zero difference on theirs.
Many northern states haves switched to a beet juice extract for road deicing. The stuff works great but it is highly corrosive to sheet metal. The only way to control it is to hose it off as soon as it gets on your vehicle and even that that is no guarantee.

Big Brian

Full Access Members
Reaction score
its pretty common. when shopping for my 08 in March, the first one I looked at (private owner) was white, clean as a whistle. Then I noticed a little orange stain on the plastic rocker, the lady said its just the running board. Well, being plastic I knew better and put my finger through the rocker.

Next vehicle was at a Ford dealer. I called on it, asked the salesman about rust on the rocker, he went and checked said there was none. I went and looked at it, same thing, put my finger through the rocker and pulled up a chunk of rust and gave it to him.

Finally found a solid one but it took some looking.

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its pretty common. when shopping for my 08 in March, the first one I looked at (private owner) was white, clean as a whistle. Then I noticed a little orange stain on the plastic rocker, the lady said its just the running board. Well, being plastic I knew better and put my finger through the rocker.

Next vehicle was at a Ford dealer. I called on it, asked the salesman about rust on the rocker, he went and checked said there was none. I went and looked at it, same thing, put my finger through the rocker and pulled up a chunk of rust and gave it to him.

Finally found a solid one but it took some looking.

Mine wasn't bad just recently it's really showing. There are a few of these trucks throughout my family and they are all showing rust as of now... even a 2014 although the rockers on that one are just bubbling up on the bottom you know what's under those bubbles. I see it a lot on the 150s too and reading up on it these rust out quick in comparison to the competitors. I love these trucks but I'm venting as it sucks. Yea I hear you on how common it is. I've been looking at other expys in lots and they all have the same rust tracts running down under the front doors. Our local fire chief has an 08 and let me look at his... same deal... it was the rust tracts and bubbling paint/holes. My problem is the other guys tahoes that were just as old had nothing seriously wrong with the rockers other than minor stuff.

Last edited:

Big Brian

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yeah I hear ya JE

almost kept me from buying mine, I was getting bummed out seeing it on every one I was looking at.

I am sure its just a matter of time. I had an Aerostar with completely rusted out rockers, I replaced them it wasn't a bad job but am not ready to do it again anytime soon.

I am in Michigan, the one I bought was from New Brunswick Canada and was owned by an elderly gentleman, its super clean no rust maybe they do things differently to the roads up there, or if he didn't drive it in the winter, I don't know

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All the money saved by not getting the $15 car wash during the winter can now be put to good use...

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My dealer offered a Ziebart package with an annual service check and touch up for the next 10 years. Knowing the rust issues I had on my 05 I went for it. They sprayed the inside of the rockers, the doors, the liftgate, and the hood with their rust inhibiting gel. They also sprayed a noise reduction material on the underside of floor pan and I got them to squirt some of that gel inside the radiator support for good measure. Only time will tell now.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All the money saved by not getting the $15 car wash during the winter can now be put to good use...

Wash it all you want... its the design flaw that causes problems not lack of washing. Chief washed his truck all the time it didn't help. Ford acknowledged there is problems with these rocker panels it's very common on newer F150s a lot of people's they had to replace in warranty.

Last edited:

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Cant you just keep em thoroughly painted on all sides???

How exactly is it rusting if it isnt exposed???