2010 EL 3/2” lift + 35" + Tuner - pics

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

Bernard

Reaction score
Because that ball joint angle is pretty extreme with the Expedition spindle. I would love to see if the F150's spindle/knuckle can be swapped in to alleviate that issue as it's pretty worrying to someone who's truck will spend some time off of the pavement. It would suck to be bouncing down a dirt road or through some snow drifts and have that ball joint fail. From the information we have dug up I think the 4WD F150 Spindle will fit on an Expedition. One thing I'm curious about is if the spindle swap alone will give any lift or if it will just correct the suspension angles once a spacer lift is installed.

I totally agree.
The bal joint angle, in offroad, is just a accident waiting to happen - That is why I spend so much time to get the information regarding the F-150..

I don’t see how the F-150 alone will give any lift. I think it will only change the Lower-to- Upper arms angle – the lift is a factor of the Lower arm –to-chassis length…

In any case, I think that the Rancho kit doesn’t address the ball joint angle problem either – it does the same way of lifting as the spacer ones.

Any way.
The other (next) concern/thing to think about, is how/if the higher spindle (if it fits…) and the change in the upper arm angle change, will affect the vehicle beaver – as the Upper and Lower arms will NOT be parallel any more or less parallel then stock…

capitlj

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The other (next) concern/thing to think about, is how/if the higher spindle (if it fits…) and the change in the upper arm angle change, will affect the vehicle beaver – as the Upper and Lower arms will NOT be parallel any more or less parallel then stock…

True, but I dont think it could be any worse than than the angle on that upper arm with the spacer lift. That picture shows the suspension fully dropped out but that upper a arm can't be parallel with the suspension under load either. Someone would need to get the parts, install them and see if there are any issues. I think if anything the F150 Spindle would move that upper a-arm back into a more factory geometry. It doesn't look like there would be any clearnace issues with that ball joint being placed higher with the suspension under full compression either.

OP
OP
B

Bernard

Reaction score
OK. I think it is final…

OK. I think it is final…
The 2007-on Expedition and the latest generation F-150 have the exact Knuckles/spindles.
It is Ford part number 3K186 LH and 3K185 RH - it is the same for 2x4 and for the 4x4 versions.
There for, it is the same height and will not solve the Upper Arm/Ball Joint angle.

Another thing.
In addition to the taller knuckle’s “neck”, the lift kit’s Knuckles have a lower arm connection that is lower than the OEM knuckles (it meant to work with a lowering bracket for the lower arm), so it will give even worst arms angles…

I starting to think that the best available solution will be to modify an OEM knuckles…

OP
OP
B

Bernard

Reaction score
Not at all.
I'm starting to look for options on how to weld cast iron... this is, definitely, not a DIY project...

I know it can be done, because I saw it on the Rough Country F-150 lift kit installation manual...

Rough Country F-150 lifted Knuckle #1.JPG

Rough Country F-150 lifted Knuckle #2.JPG

An Expedition/F-150 knuckle is about $50-$70 (eBay) - have no idea how much is a welding for that kind of thing...

capitlj

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welding a cast piece is impossible acording to some shops, difficult according to others. I find it highly unlikely you'll find someone willing to give it a shot without some ironclad legal paperwork absolving them of any liability should it fail and wreck a vehicle worth at least $20,000.

OP
OP
B

Bernard

Reaction score
Too complicated..

The other option is to install an F-150 front lift kit (assuming it will fit) including lowering brackets for the lower arms and Knuckles but they go at list 4" and it is too high, for my opinion...

capitlj

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree, an expy would need 4 inches in the back to make that work and unfortunately the F150 stuff will definitely not work there lol

OP
OP
B

Bernard

Reaction score
Even without the rear - with 3", I'm not so happy with the front half-shafts angle... I would prefer that the front axle would be lowered too...

Today I dissemble the front wheels and took a good look at the front suspension and steering, at varies positions - in full drop, the half-shaft outer joint boots are rubbing/leaning against the lower arm...
I just can't leave it the way it is now.

I think, eventually, I'll stay with the 3" I did and go for a lower arms lowering brackets + knuckles and leave the axle in its place...
Or
Concentrate on how to lift the rear to match a 4” front F150 lift.

I guess there is no way around it, if you want to do this right...