2013 Expedition wheel Alignment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

13Expy

Reaction score
Hi guys

My truck doesn't have many miles on it and I have a problem with my wheel alignment. When I bought the truck from the dealer back in 2013 the Alignment wasn't right, so I took it back to the dealer and he just did the alignment and it was ok for some time.

I keep on taking it to my local tyre shop to straighten it but whenever I travel the alignment gets bad again. It's so frustrating!

The truck pulls towards the left, although it's not that bad for city driving but for highway driving its really annoying.

Any idea what could be wrong?

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Highly crowned roads can make it pull one way or another depending on what side of the road you are on. Find a shop that specializes in just alignments. They generally know what they are doing. If I am not mistaken the Expedition should get a 4-wheel alignment. Many tire shops just do the front.

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi guys

My truck doesn't have many miles on it and I have a problem with my wheel alignment. When I bought the truck from the dealer back in 2013 the Alignment wasn't right, so I took it back to the dealer and he just did the alignment and it was ok for some time.

I keep on taking it to my local tyre shop to straighten it but whenever I travel the alignment gets bad again. It's so frustrating!

The truck pulls towards the left, although it's not that bad for city driving but for highway driving its really annoying.

Any idea what could be wrong?

Perhaps they aren't tightening things down properly after making the adjustments... but seems unlikely that two different shops would do the same thing (dealer and the local tire shop).

Any smell of things getting hot, like from a stuck front caliper?

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Perhaps they aren't tightening things down properly after making the adjustments... but seems unlikely that two different shops would do the same thing (dealer and the local tire shop).

Any smell of things getting hot, like from a stuck front caliper?

I guess that wouldn't make sense since your problem goes away after the initial alignment and then goes bad over time.

Plati

Reaction score
If it was me I would have gone back to the dealer when I had a problem after the first alignment and describe what's wrong with vehicle performance. They could check alignment and see if it changed. If it did then then could tunnel in to problem and peel off the onion skin getting to root cause. Jumping around from shop to shop seems like it adds a level of confusion. I'm not a mechanic but have been a vehicle owner for a long time and my understanding is that alignment is bolted down hard and doesn't change unless parts wear or you bang on it.

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
If it was me I would have gone back to the dealer when I had a problem after the first alignment and describe what's wrong with vehicle performance. They could check alignment and see if it changed. If it did then then could tunnel in to problem and peel off the onion skin getting to root cause. Jumping around from shop to shop seems like it adds a level of confusion. I'm not a mechanic but have been a vehicle owner for a long time and my understanding is that alignment is bolted down hard and doesn't change unless parts wear or you bang on it.
I second this. Not sure where you live or what shops you have around but I’m a firestone alignment for life member. Even after self installing a 3/2 lift kit and 35s theyvhad to make minimal adjustments to my trucks alignment. When they do, they put green marks on every nut and bolt on the suspension to have a visual of things coming loose over time. I would suggest having someone do that next time u have it aligned to see if stuff really is coming loose

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Doubt it’s alignment. Mine pulled to the right when I bought it. I asked them to verify the alignment and they did (gave me the report from the machine, you should ask for this) and it was fine.

It ended up being the front brakes. Someone replaced them and hadn’t lubed the tabs on the pads adequately on the right side, so it never released fully and it was dragging. My front right wheel was always black, too.

It was intermittent as well, after driving a while it would go away and it would come back after hard braking.

Plati

Reaction score
My 03 has had several brake related issues, some led to pulling one way or the other. Like ... Boot got pinhole so caliper hanging up ... Rubber hose collapsed inside so brake fluid couldn't flow back ... Rear ebrake cable sticking ... Etc etc. I use a infrared thermometer periodically to diagnose temperature of all brake rotors. Both fronts should be about same and both rear about same.

new_to_towing

Reaction score
Are the tires wearing unevenly? I recently got new tires on my 2013 at 65k miles at Costco and when I went to the Ford dealer located conveniently next door to get an alignment done, the service advisor asked whether the original tires had worn evenly. When I said yes, he was not enthusiastic about the need for an alignment.

I’m not a car DIYer, but with alignment adjustments, I understand that there are three parameters, caster, camber, and toe in/out. I’ve been told that caster and camber are fixed and only toe in/out can be adjusted. Is that correct?