2013 factory towing package accesories

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

new_to_towing

Reaction score
I just took delivery of a new 2013 Limited 4x4 with the heavy-duty towing package. 1.) In the cargo tool area where the jack is, I found a brake controller adapter. As I am new to towing and have not yet purchased the boat/trailer that I will be towing, I'm curious as to how this gets installed/used. Is this something that the dealer is supposed to install while prepping the vehicle, or does the boat dealer install it?
2.) As part of the package, am I supposed to received a cable to connect the vehicle to the trailer for lighting, etc.?
Thanks.

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
1- There should be a plug under the dash by the OBD II port to plug the trailer controller in. This would be something you would do. You shouldn't need it for a boat trailer. They use hydraulic surge brakes that are activated when slowing down. The trailer has it's own master cylinder that is activated by the boat trailer pushing against the hitch when you slow down.

2- The boat trailer will have it's own plug for the lights. Just plug it into your truck.

RI-Matt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Post a pic.

The 2013 Limiteds have the intergrated brake controller mounted under the cigarette lighter so maybe this is an adapter if you want to bypass the factory one.

Matt

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Post a pic.

The 2013 Limiteds have the intergrated brake controller mounted under the cigarette lighter so maybe this is an adapter if you want to bypass the factory one.

Matt

I forgot about that. If he has it maybe he can get the part numbers for the rest of us.:smoke2:

OP
OP
N

new_to_towing

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I've posted a picture of the adapter with the packaging label. From looking at the adapter, I would assume that wiring from the trailer would have to brought up to the dash to be spliced onto to the controller adapter.

Attachments

• IMAG0074.jpg
    IMAG0074.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 269

DF5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All the wiring in the truck is already in place. The adapter you have is to plug an aftermarket trailer brake controller into the gray plug under the dash.

DF5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the wiring for the controller is in place, why would Ford supply an adapter for an aftermarket controller?

The connectors on the hitch are wired for the the lights and ground on the 4 pin and lights, ground, and 12V on the 7 pin. Also on the 7 pin connector is the brake circuit. That is already wired from the connector at the hitch to the gray connector under the dash. The adapter is needed to plug the brake controller into the gray plug. When you get a brake controller it will have wires on it with no plug. You will need to match the wires on the controller to the lables on the adapter plug.

RI-Matt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The connectors on the hitch are wired for the the lights and ground on the 4 pin and lights, ground, and 12V on the 7 pin. Also on the 7 pin connector is the brake circuit. That is already wired from the connector at the hitch to the gray connector under the dash. The adapter is needed to plug the brake controller into the gray plug. When you get a brake controller it will have wires on it with no plug. You will need to match the wires on the controller to the lables on the adapter plug.

Refer to my post above.....
2013 Expeditions with HD tow come with an integrated brake controller in the dash ( Factory )
No aftermarket brake controller is needed.
The OP is curious why his came with wiring when it already has the brake controller installed.

Matt

Attachments

• trailerbrake.jpg
    trailerbrake.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 425