2014 limited vs 2015 limited?

Which would you buy?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 2015 is quieter amd smoother as well. But comfort is exactly the same. I would see how they bith achieved the miles, hwy or city, off road, region owned etc

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Get the '15 or see if you can find a navigator (same truck underneath except no 4L on the 4x4, but better sound insulation, better infotainment package and stereo, years earlier standardization of tech like park sensors and cameras....fewwer cupholders for some unfathomable reason though)

With the 14, remember, prestige pricing really fizzles for vehicles that are two redesigns old. It's an almost new very expensove truck --- that no longer looks like an almost new very expensive truck

Resale on the '14 will be far worse on account of being technologically 1.5 and visually 2 generations behind current.

Seats are easily removable, swappable, tradeable etc.

You'd do better to look into EL vs. SWB, seating is unaffected but long trucks ride a bunch smoother and short trucks have NO cargo space to speak of unless you fold or remove seats.

Then again, parking an EL in some urban environments can be kind of a nightmare

Also....it's a fullsize truck design, you can safely consider FAR higher mileage examples to save quite a few bucks and get a more fully loaded vehicle

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The resale will be close. I’ve shopped around on both styles and they are both 3rd gens that depreciate about the same.

Last edited:

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
True...if infotainment is your thing, the 15 system even with that version of sync 2 is lightyears better than sync 1, when it works that is. However the sound system in the 14 is vastly superior to the sony system. As long is its been taken care of well, any fs suv under 100k will have a long life. Though your looking at ltd, navis are nice pieces if you can get over the exterior looks. They are supremely quiet, seats are better, ride fantastic, smoother powertrains in both forms, and the thx system is a wrk from the gods.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The resale will be close. I’ve shopped around on both styles and they are both 3rd gens that depreciate about the same.

Right now, yes, people aren't quite used to the new Expeditions yet

But in a couple years it won't be "newish", but rather an OLDER VERSION OF AN OLDER VERSION

Ultimately, a '14 is pretty much identical to an '07 in the same mileage and condition

It'll be like selling a 1st gen in 2007-2008

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If both have warranty, go for the ecoboost. With 3.73 gears the ecoboost is an ecobeast when it comes to towing. I've owned both now (had the 5.4 in a 2010 Platinum F150 with max tow package), and after my first mountain toe this weekend with the ecoboost expedition EL, there is just no comparison when it comes to low rpm torque and power. The 5.4 is a great towing motor but really works in higher Rev range for its power compared to the twin turbo. It also doesn't have near the torque so it will downshift more on hills. I'll get rid of my expy before the warranty runs out at 100k miles but will enjoy it(and properly maintain it) until then. I've towed with lots of gas motors and the ecoboost tops the chart in my book as far as performance goes, both towing and not.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True...if infotainment is your thing, the 15 system even with that version of sync 2 is lightyears better than sync 1, when it works that is. However the sound system in the 14 is vastly superior to the sony system. As long is its been taken care of well, any fs suv under 100k will have a long life. Though your looking at ltd, navis are nice pieces if you can get over the exterior looks. They are supremely quiet, seats are better, ride fantastic, smoother powertrains in both forms, and the thx system is a wrk from the gods.

That is true the audio system on the 15-17 expy doesn’t have the power or sound quality the audio system in the 07-14 trucks have.

Last edited:

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score

How's the Navi THX compare vs. Expy Sony & vs. aftermarket rigs?

I've only had the expy base SSV radio so nothing to compare it to

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The thx system is probably the best system ive heard in a vehicle so far. Its worlds better than the sony system, and has better sound quality than the premium 14 system. If i had to rank id say thx system is #1, harman kardon in bmw 7 series is #2, bose system in eacalade #3, ford b&o #4, volvo xc90 base system #5...the premium audio in the...07 to 14 expy is right after that as well as the infinity systems in the newer hyundais

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow... better than harman kardon and bose?

Btw it's not THX, it's "THX certified" (another one of those mystery patent-related labels like Dolby afaik).

What it actually is, I have no clue