2017 Expy Limited 3000 mile road trip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I really like your suggestion about popping a tiny hole and injecting some expanding foam. Chances are, it's either a wire harness or drain tubing(get harder as temps drop so it would explain that its louder in lower temps) and the foam would nail it down.

You are still covered under warranty but for those in older trucks, it might be just the thing!

jeff

OP
OP
NevadaGeo

NevadaGeo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I really like your suggestion about popping a tiny hole and injecting some expanding foam. Chances are, it's either a wire harness or drain tubing(get harder as temps drop so it would explain that its louder in lower temps) and the foam would nail it down.

You are still covered under warranty but for those in older trucks, it might be just the thing!

jeff

I will follow through on this under warranty. I know these are production vehicles and things like this will always show up in a production vehicle. Ford is trying very hard right now to "act concerned" and put the best foot forward. So I will not stop until I am satisfied and now they know it. Fortunately, I have some time to take it in when I need to for all to be made good.

nynd

Reaction score
Definitely a nice write up! I did the same but drove more on the east coast from Buffalo, to South Carolina to Atlanta then Mississippi, St Louis and Cleveland. Truck was exceptional for a large SUV.

rollinstone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've taken my 2014 on 3000+ trips towing a 3000 lb camping trailer...awesome tow vehicle! I don't think the '14 has this yaw dampener you speak of though...unless that's what the TCS is...which can toggle ON/OFF.

OP
OP
NevadaGeo

NevadaGeo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Agreed! The new Expedition really shines with comfort on road trips. The Sync3 nav and audio controls are very well done. Setting a destination by voice command is very efficient once you get to know the system. As mentioned before by many, the 3.5 TT is made for this type of vehicle!!

dave91gt

Reaction score
What a great story. Thanks for sharing. We have had 3 Expeditions. An 03 XLT, 08 EB, and now the 15 Limited. All solid. Fantastic all purpose vehicle. But in my opinion, the Ecoboost absolutely transforms it. We live in WV so lots of elevation changes. The 08 was always searching for a lower gear. The Eco just spools up and goes. But these things shine on a nice long trip. Nice and comfy. Our best mpg has been right at 22 mpg and we've hit it twice. Both trips to the coast (Myrtle Beach SC and Outer Banks NC). Once out of the mountains and on flat ground, it sips fuel.
We have 26k on ours. No trips back to the dealer. I just changed out the factory tires to Nitto Terra Grappler G2's. The factory Hankook's were getting slippery in heavy rain. They wore well and even.

OP
OP
NevadaGeo

NevadaGeo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks Dave. West Virginia By God!!

I have thought about changing out the tires but will wait and see. I will be doing some off road geologic field work and maybe these will work, but definitely need something with more sidewall plies than the Hankooks.

What grade of fuel do you use for your decent mpg? Do you use over 91?

dave91gt

Reaction score
Thanks Dave. West Virginia By God!!

I have thought about changing out the tires but will wait and see. I will be doing some off road geologic field work and maybe these will work, but definitely need something with more sidewall plies than the Hankooks.

What grade of fuel do you use for your decent mpg? Do you use over 91?
When we take a trip, I use 93 octane. Local driving nets us 15-16 mpg

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've been spoiled by other cars so in my mind, this expy rides the firmest over my '99 or my '03 but it's also brand new and only the '99 was nearly new when I bought it so it may soften a bit with time. The trip I made up and back to Conn. a month ago was darn nice on the turnpike though. It's almost scary how effortless 80mph is for 3 tons!

I noticed that the stock tires seem to hold pretty nicely in the wet but we didn't get crap for snow this year so no real testing for that but I've got no plans to replace them since they hold so well.

As an aside, my mileage has been steady climbing and it's now up to 17.6 average since new. I intentionally leave one of the mileage options alone so it shows my average since day one so it's dead accurate instead of me having to guess. I seem to be getting more and more tankfuls that end with an average of 18/18.2/18.8 and that's running the 100 miles roundtrip to work....mostly on highways with red lights every 5 or so miles.

I don't pay for gas so only once did I NOT fill with 93 fwiw.

jeff