2018 Expedition XLT Gas Mileage Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Randy Schmidt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Towed my boat 120 miles round trip to a reservoir to fish. Reset the gauge when I pulled out of the driveway. Computer says 14.2MPG, which is a 37% improvement over my 2008. I think it will drop a bit, but it looks to be very good.

Also, the sag for my boat is maybe 1 1/4", maybe 1 1/2", measured at the ball. Not bad, and it doesn't seem like load leveling is necessary for my situation.
How uneven does it ride from front to back? I am not happy with how much mine sags in the rear compared to the front.

IMG_1494.jpg

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As I said, the sag measured at the ball is minimal, somewhere between 1 1/4" and 1 1/2". Not nearly as much as my 2008 Expy. But, my boat/motor/trailer weighs 3800#, so not much. You may be better off with a load-leveling hitch as that looks like a heavy boat. I imagine Nivomat or somebody else will come out with LL shocks for the 4th generation eventually.

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So, mileage update. My wife and I took a road trip to the Black Hills, Mt Rushmore, Devil's Tower, etc. Lots of idling, stop and go, hills, etc, total of 1632 miles. Computer said 22.5MPG, actual calculated was 21.3MPG. I think that's a 25% improvement over my 2008. Computer error appears to 5-6% optimistic. Nothing to complain about, for sure.