Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ford is cheap like everyone else, they’ve discontinued Eddie Bauer and KR for Expeditions because the limited and platinums use cheaper leather and interior materials and sell for the same or more. It’s the classic give less take more effect. Also no licensing agreements need to be maintained. The Platinum is beautiful, but it just doesn’t have the presence the KR has, hopefully it returns.

Last edited:

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I read in an article I can't find right now, Ford discontinued their association with Eddie Bauer because the Eddie Bauer company was going down hill, losing its brand capital and it began charging more for licensing to make up the difference. This article says it was because of the LTZ, Limited, and Platinum trim levels.

https://www.thecarconnection.com/news/1049580_rip-eddie-bauer-1991-2010-trucks-and-suvs-that-is

Wow... In that pic in the article Fords highest trim level Expedition in 2011 was $48,000. Today the base XLT is $5,000 more than that. Prices have gotten so high, too high. I’ve seen this article before, Yep makes sense. I still think King Ranch will be back, it wasn’t available the first year of any generation so far.

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those are 'starting prices'. Sticker price on my 2008 was just over $52K

Yep, my 07 was $29,500 starting. Adding power equipment group and 4WD with a few extras brought it to $35,500 still cheap for what it is and has done. Granted Ford was in trouble at the time and they were giving these away.

Last edited:

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The platinum leather is nicer than all but the older KR leather. I y not sure when they changed but the newer KR leather is definitely not the same as the original KR leather. When the Platinum Explorer came out, Motor Trend said it was the nicest leather ever put in a Ford.

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That article even states that they've found just as much success with their own brands (Platinum, Limited, etc) as with Eddie Bauer, etc.

2018 also saw the addition of the "Special Edition" option package, between that and the Platinum/Limited ones, and the general slimming down of model/package offerings across Ford and cars in general, I'd be very surprised if King Ranch came back.

The simple fact is, while there are people for whom the King Ranch logo was a differentiator (evidenced by you guys at the very least), they aren't enough to justify the cost.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yep, my 07 was $29,500 starting. Adding power equipment group and 4WD with a few extras brought it to $35,500 still cheap for what is is and has done.

So your 2007 was new in Sept 2006. $35,500 in Sept 2006 is, with inflation, the same buying power as $43,132 today.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So your 2007 was new in Sept 2006. $35,500 in Sept 2006 is, with inflation, the same buying power as $43,132 today.

Yep sound about right, I figured mid 40s in today’s money. My build date was May or June of 2007. As we all know the auto industry was descending into chaos at the time and they gave these rigs away as gas climbed.