2V needs head gaskets replaced, 32v swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Manlavi95

Reaction score
My head gaskets are well on their way out at 215K miles and an overheat June 2015. I found a 32V with "102K miles" for a little under a grand on CL. Comes with harness, but can I get away with modifying the stock harness, as I have 4x4? I wanted to rebuild mine and stick a Lightning pullout on top, but it's looking like the 32V may be a better option. Do the 32V's come with forged crank and rods? Do they handle forced induction better with a stock bottom end or do I need to just go ahead and build my 16V? I guess I should go ahead and list my goals with this truck.

I wanted to do some forced induction, like I said I wanted to do the Lightning top end swap. I also want to pull off that ZF5 swap since my 4r100 crapped out on my last September, and I don't want to have to deal with that again. Is the 16V better for this or the 32V?

Edit: Forgot to mention the 32V comes with what looks like a 4R70 RWD transmission, that's why I was wondering if I could adapt the stock harness and use my 4r100 and my 4x4 in the meantime.

Last edited:

ThwopKing

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the 32v does NOT have forged rods but MAY have a forged crank. But even the cast crank is good to over 800hp as long as the rods and bearings are up to the task.If you are going for a boosted application you SHOULD do rods to be safe.
As far as the trans is concerned, what trans came in 32v Navis's?...can you pull a harness from one of those?

OP
OP
Manlavi95

Manlavi95

Reaction score
the 32v does NOT have forged rods but MAY have a forged crank. But even the cast crank is good to over 800hp as long as the rods and bearings are up to the task.If you are going for a boosted application you SHOULD do rods to be safe.
As far as the trans is concerned, what trans came in 32v Navis's?...can you pull a harness from one of those?

Like I said, the 32v in question has a 4r70 bolted to it set up for RWD. I may just get another 16v and build it.