3rd Gen EL Front Shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jglopic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All,

I ran into a situation this weekend when I went to get my front shocks replaced. I wanted to go with aftermarket shocks (probably Monroe), but the shop told me that they couldn't get aftermarket front shocks for the EL's. Anyone else run into this issue?

Also, it looks like according to Fordparts.com, the front shocks are the same on the EL and the standard length Expy. Did I get scammed, or did they guy at the shop not know what he was doing?

(And, yes, I had him put OEM shocks on it because it had to have something done. Hopefully these will last longer than the last two sets, which each went about 20k miles.)

Thanks for any input!

911jason

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just had KYB struts put on my 07 EL last week... the OEM shocks lasted me 70k miles. Well, the fronts lasted that long, the rears weren't leaking yet and probably would have gone longer.

Reaction score
Hey, I have an 08 EL w/ ~110k miles on it, and never have touched the shocks or struts.
Admittedly, I am a newbie, but what should I be looking for?

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Generally if the truck starts bouncing a lot over bumps, nose dives under braking, or just doesn't feel controlled it's time to replace the shocks. At 110K I imagine your shocks are well worn out.

And I have to say, I love Blazing Saddles.:crazy:

911jason

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey, I have an 08 EL w/ ~110k miles on it, and never have touched the shocks or struts.
Admittedly, I am a newbie, but what should I be looking for?

Here's a google image search of "leaking strut"...

leaking strut - Google Search

Not sure if you can get a good angle to see your struts without removing the wheel. Try turning your steering wheel all the way in one direction and see if it opens enough of a gap to check. A leaking strut will just basically have a dark area where you can tell it's had some moisture building up on it.

Reaction score
Here's a google image search of "leaking strut"...

leaking strut - Google Search

Not sure if you can get a good angle to see your struts without removing the wheel. Try turning your steering wheel all the way in one direction and see if it opens enough of a gap to check. A leaking strut will just basically have a dark area where you can tell it's had some moisture building up on it.

Thanks all I really appreciate it, I have only brought into the dealer for service, I assume they would catch it?

Also, when do you all flush the transmission? (08 EL 4x4) I imagine it should be soon...

Reaction score
Thanks all I really appreciate it, I have only brought into the dealer for service, I assume they would catch it?

Also, when do you all flush the transmission? (08 EL 4x4) I imagine it should be soon...

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread, please ignore this, I will post elsewhere..

GaryH2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All,

I ran into a situation this weekend when I went to get my front shocks replaced. I wanted to go with aftermarket shocks (probably Monroe), but the shop told me that they couldn't get aftermarket front shocks for the EL's. Anyone else run into this issue?

Also, it looks like according to Fordparts.com, the front shocks are the same on the EL and the standard length Expy. Did I get scammed, or did they guy at the shop not know what he was doing?

(And, yes, I had him put OEM shocks on it because it had to have something done. Hopefully these will last longer than the last two sets, which each went about 20k miles.)

Thanks for any input!

I've been doing some reseach on this for my Expy (07 EL). You are correct in that the part numbers are the same for both the regular (shorty as I like to call them) and EL versions. This was checked on the Fordparts website. In addition, my correspondence with Rancho tells me that the part numbers are the same for them also. It seems in spite of the extra weight of the EL, the parts are generally the same in my experience.