'98 EB "Perimeter Anti-Theft System"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

allanbegg

Reaction score
All,

Is there a way to disable the Perimeter Anti-Theft System (or at least the motion/vibration portion) without disabling the Starter?

The motion/vibration sensor on the Anti-Theft is "WAY" too sensitive and the alarm goes off every time a loud car or motorcycle goes down the street.

I tried disconnecting what I thought was the Perimeter Anti-Theft System module (behind the Emergency Brake mechanics) but that resulted in the Expy not even trying to start.

Any advise on how to turn off the Perimeter Anti-Theft System or disable the motion/vibration sensor would be greatly appreciated.

My neighbor would even say thanks.

Allan

Lane24

technical advisor
Reaction score
My PATS has no vibration sensor.. Just the anti theft for someone without the key.. Must be aftermarket if you have an actual alarm. Hopefully someone around here is a installation guru, and can help you. If not, a trip to your local Stereo/Alarm installer may be a good start to see what your options are.

OP
OP
A

allanbegg

Reaction score
My understanding is that this unit is in addition to the PATS.

I have a small red light (which flashes) that is mounted on the dash near the steering column and there is a small box mounted under the dash near my left knee, which I think might be the vibration detector. The small box has wiring that goes to another (larger) module that is sitting behind the emergency brake mechanism. The box behind the brake has a Ford label on it.

I could live with the PATS system, but this alarm is really bugging me.

Allan

Last edited:

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Do you have a separate keyfob? This sounds aftermarket... However, on any vibration/proximity detector there will be a sensitivity setting in the form of a small flathead screw you can turn up or down. I've almost always had to turn mine below the halfway mark otherwise I'd run into the same issues you have.

OP
OP
A

allanbegg

Reaction score
Here are a few pictures of the alarm system.
I do not have a separate key fob.
This "really" appears to be a factory item, even if dealer installed.

A couple of additional comments.
1. I have turned the white knob on the sensor and it had no affect. I don't know what the knob is for.
2. I disconnected the shock sensor from the main box, but that caused all sorts of problems. It would set off the alarm at random times, cause the alarm light to flash rapidly, etc...
3. Removing all wiring from the main box causes the Expy to not even try to start.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Allan

Attachments

• DSCI0010.jpg
    DSCI0010.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 490
  • DSCI0012.jpg
    DSCI0012.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 177
  • DSCI0013.jpg
    DSCI0013.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 335

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One solution is to have a tuner disable the pats.

I would think that since there is a zip tie on the sensor case someone has been inside it in the past. You may want to open the case and post a pic of the board for us to look at. The white knob is the sensitivity adjustment. Since some of the other electronics over the years has suffered from cold solder joints I would look for that while the cover is off.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiev