'98 Eddie Bauer ZF5 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whitelightning99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
great write up bud, lots of useful info on this thread,i would like to do mine.was wondering about the pedals now i know like my 88 ranger they spots are already there for them.i did my ranger my self no help one weekend i did the pedals and hydraulic clutch system then a few weeks later did the trans was pretty easy

So what was the hardest part for you of this whole job? beside the one bolt that gave issues

And Thanks to reece146 i was able to click on the web link he posted on my tread so i could find this one

OP
OP
Yudaman

Yudaman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pedal assembly was easy! The only hard part is finding a pedal assembly out of a late 90's F-150. The v-6 5 speed trucks were not super popular, so that can be a challenge.
I didn't find anything overly difficult in this swap. Everything was practically bolt in. To make life easy, I ended up swapping ECU's from a '99 Super Duty instead of dicking around with 5 Star any longer.

Now I am on the search for a V-10. When I find one, I think you folks will enjoy the write up on that!

reece146

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To make life easy, I ended up swapping ECU's from a '99 Super Duty instead of dicking around with 5 Star any longer.

Ha! Very cool work around. Thanks! Do you have a part number for the ECU?

whitelightning99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
must have missed reading something so the ECU's from a '99 Super Duty plugged right into your expo without any trouble or things needing done ?

OP
OP
Yudaman

Yudaman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Works just fine. I get the flashing "Theft" light for a few minutes. As far as I know, the super duties didn't have PATS systems. SO I think it's just telling me the PATS is disabled. Oh bummer! /sarcasm

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With all the years Ford has made the Expedition, you'd think they would have offered a manual transmission. Their were some members a few months back that commented how easy these Suv's are to work on. They need to read these posts. I myself have always enjoyed cars with a clutch. A new clutch every 100k is no big deal. Unless you dog your manual trans, they will go for a long time, vs these weak 6 speeds we have in the newer models. Good deal on your install. If you can like the other member stated, post a list of the parts you had to acquire for the trans swap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whitelightning99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
so iv dug up this tread to see pics and says i have to update my account or some shit wont let me see the pics ??? how do i do that ?