'98 Eddie Bauer ZF5 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Every time I read new post and information from this thread I get more and more excited to do a swap like this!

Have you been able to engage 4 wheel drive since the swap? The computer doesn't read anything from the trans that would stop it, right?

Last edited:

Manlavi95

Reaction score
Every time I read new post and information from this thread I get more and more excited to do a swap like this!

Have you been able to engage 4 wheel drive since the swap? The computer doesnt read anyghing from the trans that would stop it, right?

This is exactly how I feel, first it was the T56 swap that enticed me, then I saw the ZF-6 swap that let you retain 4x4 but called for a manual shift T-case, AND NOW THIS? The manual-swap urge just gets worse and worse! Once I get my project running, the Expedition is gonna be parked for a minute, if you know what I mean.

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It really "helps" when he talks about how fun it is to drive and how much better gas mileage he's getting as well, right?

Manlavi95

Reaction score
It really "helps" when he talks about how fun it is to drive and how much better gas mileage he's getting as well, right?

Just the idea of not having my gas pedal feel like mashed potatoes is enough for me.

OP
OP
Yudaman

Yudaman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also, is the pedal assembly from an F-250?

No. The pedal assembly is from an F-150. Ford offered a manual tranny for the V-6 F-150's and a very small amount of 4.6L F-150's.
Pedals bolt right in. The firewall is already stamped for the holes.

OP
OP
Yudaman

Yudaman

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Have you been able to engage 4 wheel drive since the swap? The computer doesn't read anything from the trans that would stop it, right?

The 4wd works just fine. I used low range the other day backing my 24' travel trailer into it's parking spot. The low 1st gear and reverse in low range is like a little tractor. The BW4406 t-case is working like a charm. But I am lucky to have a '98 with the 2wd option.

I am still super happy with the end results of this swap and would definitely recommend it to anyone who is interested!

Now I just need to get with the 5 Star guys and get a custom tune to remove the auto programming and make it run even better.

Last edited:

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Any idea how this would jive with the newer style electric tcase?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newbs99

Reaction score
Saw a manuel expy on craigslist but didn't know this much went into it. Can't wait to see it done!