'98 Eddie Bauer ZF5 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Yudaman

Yudaman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, I finally bit the bullet and called Mike at 5 Star. I took advantage of their Memorial Day sale and purchased and X4 device with a couple of custom tunes. The new tuner should be here middle of next week and I can finally make the computer happy!

Write up to follow...

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Im waiting to hear how that goes. My auto just started puking trans fluid from the front. If I could find a good ZF I might do this swap as well.

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, I finally bit the bullet and called Mike at 5 Star. I took advantage of their Memorial Day sale and purchased and X4 device with a couple of custom tunes. The new tuner should be here middle of next week and I can finally make the computer happy!

Write up to follow...

ibiDKT4HRobBNx.gif

reece146

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you able to take a picture of the shifter when in 3rd and 4th and post them?

I'm wondering how much throw the shifter has and if it will be more than what the console can deal with. I have the console with the rear HVAC controls forward of the shifter (small cubby, MY01).

Is there such a thing as a short shifter that changes the pivot point for these transmissions or am I stuck cut-n-welding something?

OP
OP
Yudaman

Yudaman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The picture I posted, the shifter was in neutral. When shifting into the top holes, the shifter stick will sometimes tink into the top of the console housing. If you have the climate controls there, you may not have enough room.
As for the lower holes, I can put a beer can in the cup holders and not hit. But a 1 liter soda bottle hits solid. LOL

OP
OP
Yudaman

Yudaman

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Write up to follow...

I have been stalling on this in hopes to write something positive.
6 months after the purchase and all I have to report is buying a SCT X4 tuner and a half assed custom tune.
Well, I should rephrase that. I got 5 tunes so far. Not one of them is "right". The first tune was so far out of whack I could only mange to drive about 20 miles with it. Second tune was better, but I couldn't handle sitting at a stop light idling at 3,000 rpm's. The third tune had an insanely lean idle condition that hyperheated my catalytic converter which melted the hydraulic clutch line which caught on fire. Yes, I said caught on fire!!! Luckily for me, I played dumb and Napa honored their warranty and replaced the master/slave assembly free of charge. I have been running tune #4 since late June. To offset the lean idle, he richened it up, too much. So the computer tries to counter that by leaning the idle which nets me an idle condition of about 1,800rpm at stop lights for anywhere from seconds to minutes. Then the fuel trims will reset to zero and I get a rough rich idle again. Tune #5 went way wonky. I tried it a couple of times without any luck.

The worst part, he won't answer emails! During the entire process I would give feedback via email and include datalogs. After tune #5 I sent an email explaining the symptoms and got nothing for like 3 months! After sending another email I basically got the "I can't help you without the vehicle". Yeah dood, I am going to drive from Oregon to South Carolina...
The last email I sent was over a week ago. No response. How hard could it be to write a program for a manual tranny?

At this point I would be hard pressed to recommend 5 Star to anyone. My next move is to get a custom tune elsewhere or swap out the ECU for one of of a Super Duty.

reece146

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's disappointing. Other vendor for this stuff?

I'm not "up" on these Ford ECUs.

What's required to program them from a physical dataport system point of view?

I was helping my buddy live tune his S2000 on Saturday so I have a feel for the process - just need to know what tools I need to buy.

Matches

Reaction score
I am in the process of gathering the parts to swap to a Zf5 and i was wondering what i need to do about the clutch master/slave
are they from a f150 or from the zf5 superduty or a combination of the two
any other advice would be greatly appreciated
Many Thanks

OP
OP
Yudaman

Yudaman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Clutch master/slave assembly is off of a Super Duty.
The only F-150 parts used is the pedal assembly and the pushrod off the F-150 master cylinder. The pushrod for the Super Duty is shorter therefore doesn't give full engagement.