99 expi towing question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

american steel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The trailer/boat weighs a good 300-400#s less than half of what the Expi weighs. Regardless, the tongue weight has more to do with rear end squat than the weight of the trailer itself, although I will admit that tongue weight is a function of the gross trailer weight. To attribute rear end squat to the ratio between tow vehicle and trailer weight, though, is a bit off the mark. Considering the OP can lift the trailer tongue by hand, I would guess that the tongue weight is more no more than 10%-15% of the gross trailer weight so at most only talking about 300#s. That's like 2 people sitting in the last row or one person with some gear in the trunk. There should not be too much squatting. With that said, you could be correct though that suspension system is shot and needs some attention.

On many trailers axles can be moved fore to reduce tongue weight. The bow stop can also be moved aft. NOTE: from experience, the latter is the easier fix of the two.

Double axles have several advantages to single axles. For one, they are safer because they are more stable at highway speeds and are less prone to sway. Tire blowouts are less of an event. Double axles are typically also required to have brakes where single axles are not. The disadvantages though are more maintenance, i.e. replacing 4 tires vs 2, brake system maintenance, etc. Not sure if double axles on bass boats are solely for looks but there sure are other pluses than just aesthetics.

there are many many many bass boats that use just a single axle.
bass boat builders also give options to trailers. single or dual axle.
a tandem axle gives better stability when a load is put on the trailer, trailers break better with a weight on them.
not many tandem axle bass boats utilize trailer brakes. they still don't use them that much.
most of it do to looks/aesthetics.
weight of the boat will usually dictate whether or not the boat manufacture will use a trailer with brakes on them. and even a 4k boat doesn't need trailer brakes (helps yes) but really isn't worth the extra costs.
boat trailers with 3 or even 4 axles are the trailers you'll mostly see using brakes.

I saw another post on here about the front of the boat not being tied down properly. of course that will effect trailer weight distribution. the front of the boat wants spring up since most of the weight is in the back.