Accessories for 2017 Expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MCoston

Reaction score
I don't know if it counts as an accessory but I tore the console shifter apart and replaced the tini little incandescent bulbs with 3 white LEDs.
And while I was at it I removed the backup bulb sockets from the tail lights, installed a T20 socket and installed a second LED tail/stop bulb. Tail lights are bright enuf now :)

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks. I need to look for a USB version direct to my laptop vs Bluetooth.

-- Chuck

Use the BT(MX) one. You will be happy. There is a direct USB cable from the same company, that should work. LX WILL NOT work. It does not support MSCAN which is needed to communicate with the Ford control modules. Don't get the Wifi one, because it is PTP Wifi, and you cannot be connected to your home wireless at the same time. That comes in VERY handy.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Thanks! Ordered a USB version with a toggle switch for high/mid speed interface. Looked at but can't yet run the ForScan software since nothing is connected. Always suspicious of wireless/Bluetooth connections and am more of a "wired" guy.

Do you (or anyone) have a list of parameters that can be modified in the 2017 Expeditions? I'd rather not try to reinvent the wheel. There are some nice things that can be dash-displayed on other Ford cars like the tire pressures and HVAC from the steering wheel.

Really want to see if I can run the fog lights 100% of the time to serve as DRLs since I doubt there's any other way to achieve this. Unless you have some magic settings. I need to progress step by backup step. I had problems with tuning my Honda S2000 when I got impatient. Bummer when the car wouldn't start but a "restore" solved that!

-- Chuck

BTW: Locating to Richmond as soon as my house in Cleveland sells. We have a house in Chesterfield my wife has been in for almost a month -- I'm stuck here until this house sells. She's an academic (VCU).

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks! Ordered a USB version with a toggle switch for high/mid speed interface. Looked at but can't yet run the ForScan software since nothing is connected. Always suspicious of wireless/Bluetooth connections and am more of a "wired" guy.

Do you (or anyone) have a list of parameters that can be modified in the 2017 Expeditions? I'd rather not try to reinvent the wheel. There are some nice things that can be dash-displayed on other Ford cars like the tire pressures and HVAC from the steering wheel.

Really want to see if I can run the fog lights 100% of the time to serve as DRLs since I doubt there's any other way to achieve this. Unless you have some magic settings. I need to progress step by backup step. I had problems with tuning my Honda S2000 when I got impatient. Bummer when the car wouldn't start but a "restore" solved that!

-- Chuck

BTW: Locating to Richmond as soon as my house in Cleveland sells. We have a house in Chesterfield my wife has been in for almost a month -- I'm stuck here until this house sells. She's an academic (VCU).

Welcome to the RVA! You will love it. Live in the West End but I work and grew up in Chesterfield.

I get the wired thing, Network guy here. Wired is always better than wireless...but in this case, the no wire thing is an advantage.

You can do the HVAC on the right, but the Tire Pressure on the left has escaped me so far. Tried several options, from 150 and Explorer, so far none have worked.

There is another thread, FORScan Tweaks, where some have been tested including Fogs as DRL. Drop me a message next time you are in town, I can show you what I know of FORScan!

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wilco.

I have a flurry of things to do to prep for my part of the move. My wife was working in Columbus for 3 years and we bought a house there rather than rent. Sold that and bought the Chesterfield house a week later. She did. I never saw the house until I helped her more in. Now we have to cram another house into the new one.

I'll be happy just to get DRLs for now.

-- Chuck

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey, y'all! Thanks!

Activating DRLs via Forscan worked perfectly. The instructions y'all linked me to were very detailed.

I set the fog lights to be DRLs in daylight, of course, and they come on when the truck goes into gear. Headlight switch makes no difference. Off, Parking, On, Auto -- the DRLs come as long as it's light out. (Flashlight on the dashboard simulated this nicely.) They go out when it's dark (AKA not-daylight). In Auto the DRLs revert to fog lights and come on if the switch is pulled out.

Since the headlight low beams can also be set as DRLs on reduced power I tried that too. Gone from not happy there were no DRLs on a 2017 to having to make a decision on how i wanted them. :) Currently have the LED Fogs doing this and also set the fog lights to Bambi mode at night. They fog switch from DRL to Fog automatically if the headlight switch is in Auto.

Will play with more settings over the weekend.

Thanks (all) again!

-- Chuck

PS: I used this USB interface to my laptop. Everything connected seamlessly once I loaded the extended (advanced?) Forscan license.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ive had the $12.99 panlong elm327 Bluetooth for a year now, works just fine, dont think you can program anything like DRLs over it though, just Torque stuff and code reading/clearing....

But yours can?

Or can mine too and I just dont realize it?

You can get a Bluetooth adapter that plugs into your USB port on your laptop for $12.99 on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Warranty-Ava...-1-spons&keywords=usb+bluetooth+adapter&psc=1

http://www.forscan.org

Technical

What OBD2 adapters are supported?

All ELM327 adapters are supported, including clones. Situation with so-called "ELM-compatible" is more complex. Our opinion about "compatible" devices is reflected in this article: . At the moment (Feb 2013) the following ELM327-compatible devices are confirmed to be compatible with FORScan:

- OBDLink SX (STN1100 chipset) - confirmed by Naresh Seeparsad on JDM Mazda 323 BJ Familia 2002 MY

FORScan normally works with COM, USB and Bluetooth interfaces.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ive had the $12.99 panlong elm327 Bluetooth for a year now, works just fine, dont think you can program anything like DRLs over it though, just Torque stuff and code reading/clearing....

But yours can?

Or can mine too and I just dont realize it?
You need download FORScan to your laptop and then see if yours will talk to FORScan over Bluetooth.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If it supports MSCan, and FORScan can talk to it you are good to go.