Actual gas mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lately it’s been 12-13 though and I’ve been blaming it on the cold but it’s warmed up a bit around here and I have seen no improvement so I’m going to have to start looking closer at it.

Exactly what mine's been doing. Changed the fuel filter and air filter and haven't seen much difference. Let us know what you find out if you dig into it.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can usually squeeze 16mpg out of it on straight freeway, 75mph, being REALLY gentle. Lately it’s been 12-13 though and I’ve been blaming it on the cold but it’s warmed up a bit around here and I have seen no improvement so I’m going to have to start looking closer at it.

It takes forever for the running average to come back up when it warms up if you reset it you'll see it's doing better

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can usually squeeze 16mpg out of it on straight freeway, 75mph, being REALLY gentle. Lately it’s been 12-13 though and I’ve been blaming it on the cold but it’s warmed up a bit around here and I have seen no improvement so I’m going to have to start looking closer at it.
It's the winter gas, you always get lower mileage with the winter formula. Once the summer gas starts flowing, your mileage will go up. If you reset the average you will see a noticeable increase. The system takes the average of the last 500 miles driven so it takes a while for the increases to become apparent.

limitedex

Full Access Members
Reaction score
3" lift and 305mm wide tires. Gets 12-13mpg on the dash computer. Real calculations have yet TBD.

ssmock

Reaction score
Just put a new set of 275/55/R20 Michelin Defenders LT M/S on my 2014 Limited 4x4. I was getting 14.6 city / about 16 or 16.5 highway on the original Pirelli Scorpions with 63K mils on them. That was not too bad considering what I have read here. We will see what difference these new Michelin's make.

rollinstone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It really depends on how fast you drive, terrain, head/tail winds, traffic. Every mph over 55 increases gas usage. Expys aren't that aerodynamic...push a lot of air.

JimmyC

Reaction score
Although I don't have any long distance trips in mine yet, my highway mileage at 70 mph is 18.5 on cruise control. EcoBoost motor

Plati

Reaction score
Past 3 weeks been cruising the interstate and seem to consistently get lower mpg numbers during first 45 minutes of driving then it returns to more normal 16-18. I reset it and give it 10 minutes to settle in. I've been trying to determine difference between AWD & 2WD. This is while set on Cruise at constant speed. Oddly I also seem to get same or better mpg in AWD. Need more testing the results seem odd. Its clear that 72mph gets worse mpg than 65mph as expected.

During summer on 80mph roads out west I get better numbers than I'm seeing now but summer/winter gas blend splains that.

2014 5.4 EL

Last edited: