Advice on mechanics estimate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cth777

Reaction score
Hi all- I just brought my expedition into the shop to get an estimate on fixing the ABS system and a screeching noise from the rear. The mechanic says that the noise from the rear is from the parking brake clamp not releasing, and also says that I have essentially no life left on my rear brake pads. (true) He diagnosed the ABS problem as the front wheel hub. He wants around 460 to fix the parking brakes and rear brakes, and about 240 for the front wheel hub. Is this reasonable? This is my first car so I don't have much experience with this. North Jersey area if that makes a difference.
Thanks!

OP
OP
C

cth777

Reaction score
Yea, my ABS light has been on for about 5 months haha, but now it will start snowing soon. I have a '97 Expedition 4x4 with the 4.6.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
why did you wait so long

the parts for the rear brakes which would be rear pads and rear parking brake shoes plus hardware should be under $150.00 or less

A front wheel abs sensor also should be less than $50.00 provided that was all that was needed But if the hub needs to be replaced then the cost would be higher

You can get a good idea of prices by checking with Rockauto here on the forum.

As far as if your mechanic is giving you a reasonable price on the work can only be determined by what parts he replaces What cost he gives you for the parts and what his labor charge is

Keep in mind that you can buy parts on line for less then he will charge you.
Most likely he will charge list price for all parts even if he buys them at a discount.
He's in business to make money.

If you could do the work yourself you would save a bundle.

Did you have the abs codes read The abs sensor can be replaced but I would question if he is just replacing the sensor or the hub If he tells you that the sensor is bad but that it requires the hub to be replaced. I would then take it somewhere else.

But then I am not there to see the condition of the hub so he may be correct telling you the hub needs replaced.

Would be nice to know the abs code that came up if you had the codes read

OP
OP
C

cth777

Reaction score
I waited so long because I am in college and I am on a tight budget, anti lock brakes in the summer were not a priority for me. The parking brake issue began Saturday and today was the first day they were open since then. I can't do the work myself, I don't have jacks and such and also don't have the experience to do it, or really the time/inclination with my job.I will have to ask about whether or not it is just the sensor or if the hub is damaged as well.

OP
OP
C

cth777

Reaction score
The mechanic said that he gets the front sensor as a unit with the hub which is why he is replacing the whole thing.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can understand about being on a tight budget. I have learned that when you put something off in good weather it normally will bite you in the a$$ in colder/bad weather

Normally no need to replace the whole hub if only the sensor is bad

To give you a example My 05 Escape had a problem with the front ABS sensors where were a broken tone ring Most places will tell you that the whole half axel has to be replaced. because they can make a huge mark-up and labor charge to change it but to replace just the tone ring is much cheaper ($14.00) although the labor is almost the same

If he replaces the hub then I would say his prices aren't to bad

For the rear brakes is he replacing the rotors also??

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Roxy and I grew up without abs, helmets and seat belts. Dont drive like an idiot and you won't need abs.

I don't like airbags either. Just something about sitting in front of a bomb...

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cth777

Reaction score
yea thats what I'm planning on for now, I'm just gonna get the parking brake shoe and brake pads replaced. The 4-Lo and 4-Hi will work without the abs sensor but the A4WD won't, is that correct?
Charlie

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jefes_Shyt