Aftermarket Nav/Stereo Upgrade Suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smokinstang65

Reaction score
Greetings Folks,

I did a search on here for aftermarket navigation units but it didn't yield much by means of results so here we go:

I've got an 06 Expedition Limited 4x4 with in dash navigation w/6 disc CD changer and the DVD player for the rear seats. The navigation system is just old. I've got all the CD's for it and whatnot but I'd like to upgrade. I went by Best Buy and looked at a couple of different options but they don't really have the best selection and I'd rather get suggestions from some audio/electronics nerds than a kid working a Christmas job. I'd like a replacement unit for the in dash unit. My question is what all do i lose by replacing it? Best Buy said I'd lose my 6disc CD changer and controls on the steering wheel. I've read that there are connectors to get at least the steering wheel buttons to work.

Anyways, any in dash nav systems y'all can suggest I'd appreciate. Or even a list of those to stay the hell away from. My budget is up to about $1200.

mpsjr

Reaction score
Take a look at the Pioneer AVIC-Z140BT. It has in-dash Nav, DVD and smart phone connectivity, and you can use your steering wheel controls with the proper adapter. It was replaced by the AVIC-Z150BH (*coughs - $1,500*), but you can still get the Z140BT on Amazon new for around $650.

bricekin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've been using the AVIC-Z120BT since they came out and have updated it every year as the new software is released. I recommend the AVIC units time and time again.

If you've used a Garmin and like the way they operate you might want to look into Kenwood as their GPS software is Garmin. The Kenwoods in my experience though are typically less reliable and more expensive.

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pioneer first, Kenwood second.

Sent from my Galaxy SIII Using Tapatalk2

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
theres a reason its called "PIONEER"...LOL...i have pioneer avic-d3...may upgrade in future

Scobinott

Reaction score
I will be putting a Pioneer something in my truck soon as the display on the stock stereo is no longer illuminating with information. I would like a unit that has DVD and could be possibly hooked up to TVs in the front seats at some point. Also with a aux port of corse. Touch screen. I do like pioneer stuff had one in the previous four vehicles I have owned.

revkaine

Reaction score
Okay, so what unit would you guys recommend with a 5" - 7" screen, dvd, navigation AND still retaining 6 disk changer controls? Is there such a thing cause I'm having trouble finding it..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, so what unit would you guys recommend with a 5" - 7" screen, dvd, navigation AND still retaining 6 disk changer controls? Is there such a thing cause I'm having trouble finding it..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Not in the aftermarket. Just ditch the changer and put the music on an ipod and play it through the radio.

Sent from my Galaxy SIII Using Tapatalk2

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would put music on iPod and play through head unit. That's how I'm set up now

Holy Roller Christian Car Club (HRC3) National Member...