Anyone ever use powerstop slotted rotors/pads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

txracer16

Reaction score
I used PowerStop Z36 in our Sequioa ( they have a problem with brake vibrations and warping rotors, rotor and pad to small for vehicle, Toyota even updated calipers on some years to try and fix issue) and was very happy with them. Much better than stock and no pulsation issues in 20k miles. Dust wasn't a problem.

Unfortunately that vehicle got flooded in Harvey and now have a 15' Expedition EL. Love it! Except for the brakes, started slight pulsation and poor pedal feel. Always felt like I had to really get on the pedal to stop. Was fixing to go with Z36 kit again but since was low miles I decided to machine factory rotors with Procut on car lathe and went with Akebono Ceramic pads from RockAuto. Akebono is OEM supplier for Toyota and Lexus as well as probably others. These pads are phenomenal! They bite so well, cold (single digits cold) or hot, no noticble fade with load or steep grades, excellent pedal feel and modulation, and very low almost no dust. ABSOLUTELY NO NOISE! Have about 10k on them so far. On the pedal feel, normal stops I'm just touching the brakes, need a little more and a little pressure increase in pedal and it's there. The pads are just that good, feel is actually better in normal driving than my Z06. Actually thinking about trying these pads on a circle track car instead of Wilwood or Hawk they have been that impressive.

They aren't your cheapest pads, $78 from Rock Auto if I remember correctly but well worth it.

Just wanted to share what I have found as there aren't much reviews in these pads and they have been awesome.

JimmyM

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had the slotted powerstop rotors on my 01 Denali. The OWM brakes were barely adequate for 1 hard stop. I used Hawk LTS pads with the powerstops though. I loved them. After that, braking confidence was greatly improved, cold or hot. No warping or other issues after 10s of 1000s of miles and several hard stops.

nonsense

Reaction score
Slots and holes in rotors are mostly a gimmick. A good set of pads, with a good set of solid rotors will work just fine. Any notion that holes and slots are going to help stop fade are false. Maybe back in the old days when brake pads would out-gas a lot at high temps, but modern break pads don't do this.

JimmyM

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Slots and holes in rotors are mostly a gimmick. A good set of pads, with a good set of solid rotors will work just fine. Any notion that holes and slots are going to help stop fade are false. Maybe back in the old days when brake pads would out-gas a lot at high temps, but modern break pads don't do this.
Very true. But they were cheaper than my factory rotors at the time and still worked great. If your modern pads a outgassing that fast, something has gone dreadfully wrong.

Look at race cars. Most do not have holes. They used to. But not any more.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went with the regular power stop rear rotor and brake pad kit for $120, just Realized I ordered the daily driver set instead of severe duty so I may be doing them again:) only $50 more for the heavy duty set.

Last edited:

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Very true. But they were cheaper than my factory rotors at the time and still worked great. If your modern pads a outgassing that fast, something has gone dreadfully wrong.

Look at race cars. Most do not have holes. They used to. But not any more.
there is not a single hypercar that doesnt have slotted/drilled rotors. literally. Porsche 918, Koenigsegg, McLaren, Ferrari La Ferrari, Lambo, and even high end sports cars like Corvettes, Porsche 911, Lambo Huracan, etc.

There has to be something to it. I am no metallurgist or physicist but i cant imagine it not helping some heat build up. Are our vehicles taxing the brakes enough to warrant these modifications? I think so. EVERY large vehicle we have ever used them on has performed better regarding heat related issues of warping/vibrating and heat fade after prolonged usage. like long steep grades.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like I can still cancel the purchase on the DD ones. Think I’ll cancel this and switch to the HD ones after looking at the warranty (3,000 miles vs 36,000 miles) that says a lot right there. The only HD set from them is drilled and slotted... should I just bite the bullet and buy MotorCraft HD?

Last edited:
OP
OP
gixer2000

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Looks like I can still cancel the purchase on the DD ones. Think I’ll cancel this and switch to the HD ones after looking at the warranty (3,000 miles vs 36,000 miles) that says a lot right there. The only HD set from them is drilled and slotted... should I just bite the bullet and buy MotorCraft HD?
Yeah I got the HD set because there isnt much of a difference in price but the warranty difference is huge