Battery light is on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Next time you have the meter, set it for dc volts. Place the red lead on the output stud of the alternator - black lead on the alternator case. Engine can be at idle or at 1500 rpms. Voltage should be between 13.5-14.5 volts. If you are in the specified range the next step is to read the battery voltage with the engine running. Should be the same as the previous numbers.

OP
OP
S

Sukafish89

Reaction score
Well problem is solved changed the wiring to the battery and alternator and fuse link, traced wiring down to starter to check for grounded cable... Then last but not least fuse was blown!!!!

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Never sent prints due to your lack of response to my questions But since you finally did answer part of the questions about battery voltage I would have suggested checking the fuse #11, 20 amp fuse in the under hood fuse block

Your voltage readings are what told me that fuse was bad

Anyway you got it fixed

your battery voltage looks low How old is the battery I did notice you said you changed it and if so you need to give it a good charge

OP
OP
S

Sukafish89

Reaction score
Yea lack of response was due to trying to figure it out haha brand new battery and alternator the old battery was bad I guess it had a bad cell since it got drained so bad I thank you for your help

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Being your charge light was on that would indicate that Fuse #30 is good that leaves fuse #11 Both of those fuses come from the voltage regulator.

The following is from the service manual.

Visual Inspection Chart
Mechanical
  • Battery case, posts, hold-down clamp, cables and connections
  • Generator drive (serpentine) belt for condition and tension to make sure there is no slip between the belt and the pulley. For additional information, refer to Section 303-05 .
  • Battery charge
  • Generator pulley

Electrical
  • Battery junction box (BJB)Mega Fuse
  • Battery junction box fuse:
    • 11 (20A)
  • Central junction box (CJB) fuse:
    • 30 (30A)
  • Circuitry
  • Charging system warning indicator
  • Cables

Attachments

• 12-01.pdf
    25 KB · Views: 9

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Check your battery terminals, give them a tug. They could be loose or crusty.

knewblewkorvett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Didn't get pics but my.neighber has to voltage meter and it's reading 11.23 when off and 12.22 when on and in idle didn't try the one while running 1500-2000 rpms

If your running voltage is higher than your "off" voltage, your alternator is working. But, your battery should be about 12.6 volts with the car off. Your's is waaaaaaayyyyyy too low. At 11.23 volts, I'm surprised it even starts.

Jeff55v

Reaction score
While at 1500-2000 rpm, your battery voltage reading should be around 14 volts (assuming your battery is fully charged)
Many auto parts stores will offer a free battery/charging system check. I suggest taking it to them for a diagnosis.

Reaction score
This is an old thread, but I'm experiencing something similar with my '97 XLT 5.4L. Never had an issue with Battery Light staying on, but bad alternator recently killed the battery. Got a new battery and just changed out the alternator. Expy seems to be running good, charging level looks good, but the Battery Warning Light remains on. Also changed the battery terminals and made sure that everything is properly tightened down.

Does anyone have a diagram of the 1997 Expedition Charging System