Battery Light (P0620 Generator Conditions Circuit)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Battery light was on when I bought the exp. Since then I've replaced the battery, alternator harness, and cleaned all connections.

Light is off after starting and only comes on when I shift into gear or press the brake.

Today I tested with a multimeter and I have around 12.6v charge with the car off, 14.64v running with all accesories and sub/amp powered.

No voltage drop between posts/terminals/wiring/alt/bracket/body ground.

Never had any issues with the car not starting. Battery was replaced for extra CCA (old battery was a small Valucraft with only 405CCA).

Should I check anything else or just have the light shut off?

Thanks

*Forgot to say the alternator is a World Class remanufactured. I think the company is out of business or name changed but the best I could find is that it's a 135A made for the Crown Vic.

Last edited:
OP
OP
2004XLT

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks stamp, I don't have the wiring diagram for the charging system. Is there anything else I should look into?

I did a resistance test according to this: Part 1 -Ford P0620 Test -Alternator Diagnostic Test

Reading on the meter I'm getting is 1. So I would assume my voltage regulator is the problem.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have reservations about that article, it may be accurate but vr's consist of multiple semiconductors. What components are being measured between pin 1 and ground? Where did the spec's of the amount of resistance come from?

If you look at the attached wiring diagram for the 2004 alternator, you will see that pin 1 connects to the collector of a transistor while the emitter is connected to ground. You normally test transistors as diodes, not using Ohms. The collector/emitter connection has very high resistance until current is applied to the base. In this case the base is connected to a microprocessor so we don't know what level of current is being applied, plus we aren't able to test the collector/base connection or the base/emitter connection.

Is that article a valid test of the regulator? I don't know with the information supplied by the author. Most alternators I have bought in the past have included the alternator's output results so the chances of a bad alt have been very low.

Darn pdf file is larger than the limit for a post. I'll send it to your email.

Last edited:
OP
OP
2004XLT

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Much appreciated. I see what you mean about the test in that article, I just thought it might be a place to start.

Are there other ways to test the alt? Or another part of the charging system?

OP
OP
2004XLT

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks stamp will do Pinpoint Test B tomorrow.

OP
OP
2004XLT

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks like I'm going to be buying a new alt to get the battery light off.
Also looking through some old paperwork I had the code read at a Firestone right after buying this car and there was also a code for generator overcharging. Recent testing didn't support this, and operation seems entirely normal. Should I really be concerned about this alternator all things considered?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The vr inside the alt may be on the way out. You can get by for a while as long as it is charging but not overcharging. I would plan on a replacement in the near future.
Does the paperwork give any additional information on the results of the test? Overcharging being it doesn't shut off or over voltage?

OP
OP
2004XLT

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My mistake, code is P2197 - O2 High Voltage. This was for the oxygen sensor I replaced. The only code regarding the generator was the P0620.

Looking at alternators, are there any aftermarket brands that are better or worse? I would really like to go OEM but if there are other options that perform and last then I would look those. Recently I went with an Autozone fan clutch and it's about as bad as the old one, should have stuck with Ford.