Battery light stays on but charges fine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeA

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just ran into this problem a four days ago

My 2001 battery light came on, figured hmmm, alternator must be going bad, swapped in the one from my 1999 since it is down for repairs, battery light still on, since I need a new battery soon for the 1999, swapped batteries, again battery light still on.

Now I am thinking, this does not look like a quick fix now, so I went after the relay and 2 fuses for charging, replaced the relay and both fuses are good. At this point I am thinking, WTF else could it be.

With the system charging just fine, but the battery light is staying on, is a bit confusing.

I thought about it for a bit.

There was one last thing I could check, so I had my wife start the vehicle and watch the battery light and let me know if it goes on and off, sure enough it did.

The problem was one thing with 2 problems, the single wire connector has a broken tab and there was green corrosion in the plug connector. Now if I was not in a hurry, I might have caught this when I first unplugged the first alternator.
20170321_105633.jpg

I changed out the connector and cleaned the metal contacts, light has not come on since.

_JWO_

Reaction score
Thats the wire for the alternator? I am having the same issue. I will try that tomorrow thanks.