Brake pads for towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spades

Reaction score
Just bought a 21' boat and now my 03' EB brakes could use some help. What front pads are recommended for towing?

bring_em_on

Reaction score
before you do an upgrade on your expy, do you have trailer brakes? I pull a 22ft boat weighing 5000 lbs with trailer and on normal stops, I think it stops easier than when not towing.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
before you do an upgrade on your expy, do you have trailer brakes? I pull a 22ft boat weighing 5000 lbs with trailer and on normal stops, I think it stops easier than when not towing.

I second the trailer brakes. I have been towing a 6000 lb trailer/boat combo for 3 years, and I still have decent thickness on the original pads at 65000 miles.

OP
OP
S

Spades

Reaction score
Trailer has no brakes, what im looking for is which pads are better suited for towing purposes

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok, then it would be beneficial for an upgrade. Basically any performance pad would help. Usually a softer compound helps stop quicker, but pad wear suffers. EBC makes a decent pad. Might consider a package deal with new slotted rotors. The slots will dissipate the gasses better and prevent pad float on the rotor when stopping, thus decreasing stopping distance. I know a company called Rotorpros does package deals for F150's, Expys, Explorers, etc. Might try them.

bring_em_on

Reaction score
The slotted rotors are your best bet. I've heard great things about the Carquest Red and Blue pads but I've not used them.

Adding surge brakes to your trailer is relatively cheap. You can get a kit from Eastern Marine. You're Expedition will thank you for it.

http://www.easternmarine.com/em_store/trailerbrakes/

Canadian Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I run hawk pads on mine,with baer rear rotors and power slots in the front.
It stops way better than stock. It has no problems when towing my boat even in the heavy stop and go cottage traffic. The biggest difference is when you really get on them,you can actually feel the difference. I got about 3yrs out of my first set of front pads and rotors.

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you need trailer brakes/ i have surge brakes on my boat trailer and like said it.stops easier with the boat than with out... for sure go.with drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic pads and you should be good to go

Boomer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I remember years ago when I towed. There is a specific weight for a trailer, and above a certain weight brakes are required. Either surge or electric. Look into it,.