Check Charging System message & Battery light lit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ccbc65

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have an 03 XLT 4WD. 298K on it. She's been very reliable and has served me well but is starting to show her age. At 185K, the original alternator went. I never got the Check Charging System warning but I don't remember if the Battery Light came on. I had it rebuilt at a local shop. Worked great for the next 100K+ miles.

About 4 months ago, the Check Charging System warning and the battery light came on intermittently. Every time I checked it, it tested fine. It never stalled or failed to start so I was puzzled... Then the CCS message and Batt light came on more often and sometimes it stopped charging while I was driving. It even died on my a couple times while driving because I was running on the battery only. I'd get it home, charge the battery and everything tested ok.

Still puzzled... This went on for weeks and I couldn't get the problem to persist to identify it. Finally, it started persisting and when I checked, the alternator was not charging the battery. So I replaced it at Advanced Auto. Now everything tested fine with the meter but the CCS message and battery light were still on. I had no idea why. But it was charging so I just drove it. Well a couple days later, it died while driving it again, it had stopped charging and drained the battery. I removed the alternator and had it bench tested and it was perfect. Unhooked the battery and load tested it and it was fine. Clearly the alternator wasn't the problem. Did the test on the PCM and got irregular results but nothing indicating it was bad.

After a lot of reading here, many said the PCM rarely goes bad and it's usually another problem. Then I saw a post about the fusible link getting old and creating an intermittent problem with charging. So with the meter on the battery, I moved around the fusible link and sure enough, I could create the charging the not-charging situation. I replaced that cable and everything measured fine with meter. It has been running for about 2 months now, operating correctly BUT the CCS message and Battery Light are still on! I clear the message but it keeps coming back, sometimes quickly. I have no idea why. Every test the service manuals call for passes.

I did see a post about the wrong sized alternator could cause this because the sense line back to the PCM is giving the wrong voltage to the PCM but I can't find it now. (should have bookmarked it). Has anyone heard of that?

Advanced Auto gave me a 130 Amp alternator that was their brand, not Motorcraft, but I don't know what the original was. Is there a way to clear that in the PCM or should I take the 130A alternator back and have them give me a 110A? Or maybe just get the Ford OEM alternator? Any ideas???

Last edited by a moderator:

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If your alt is charging the battery even with all the accessories on full blast then you shouldn't worry about it. Maybe you could install a separate voltmeter to monitor the state of charge.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you checked for codes?

Check the battery cable ground locations - to ensure they are clean and tight.

Paragraph breaks would be your friend.........

Cjmusicman

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have an 03 XLT 4WD. 298K on it. She's been very reliable and has served me well but is starting to show her age. At 185K, the original alternator went. I never got the Check Charging System warning but I don't remember if the Battery Light came on. I had it rebuilt at a local shop. Worked great for the next 100K+ miles.

About 4 months ago, the Check Charging System warning and the battery light came on intermittently. Every time I checked it, it tested fine. It never stalled or failed to start so I was puzzled... Then the CCS message and Batt light came on more often and sometimes it stopped charging while I was driving. It even died on my a couple times while driving because I was running on the battery only. I'd get it home, charge the battery and everything tested ok.

Still puzzled... This went on for weeks and I couldn't get the problem to persist to identify it. Finally, it started persisting and when I checked, the alternator was not charging the battery. So I replaced it at Advanced Auto. Now everything tested fine with the meter but the CCS message and battery light were still on. I had no idea why. But it was charging so I just drove it. Well a couple days later, it died while driving it again, it had stopped charging and drained the battery. I removed the alternator and had it bench tested and it was perfect. Unhooked the battery and load tested it and it was fine. Clearly the alternator wasn't the problem. Did the test on the PCM and got irregular results but nothing indicating it was bad.

After a lot of reading here, many said the PCM rarely goes bad and it's usually another problem. Then I saw a post about the fusible link getting old and creating an intermittent problem with charging. So with the meter on the battery, I moved around the fusible link and sure enough, I could create the charging the not-charging situation. I replaced that cable and everything measured fine with meter. It has been running for about 2 months now, operating correctly BUT the CCS message and Battery Light are still on! I clear the message but it keeps coming back, sometimes quickly. I have no idea why. Every test the service manuals call for passes.

I did see a post about the wrong sized alternator could cause this because the sense line back to the PCM is giving the wrong voltage to the PCM but I can't find it now. (should have bookmarked it). Has anyone heard of that?

Advanced Auto gave me a 130 Amp alternator that was their brand, not Motorcraft, but I don't know what the original was. Is there a way to clear that in the PCM or should I take the 130A alternator back and have them give me a 110A? Or maybe just get the Ford OEM alternator? Any ideas???

Cjmusicman

Reaction score
Hello. Not sure if your problem was resolved. I'm having the same issue. I read somewhere elas that it was a short in the wiring harness from the alternator to the battery. I'm going to start there.

Brian Gray

Reaction score
Start by checking all your ground and battery connections. I just purchased an 04 model that had the same issue.

The body ground bolt right in behind the battery was green from corrosion. I removed it, sprayed with carb cleaner(all I had) and wire brush. I also sanded all the connections at the battery.

The leads at the starter are where I believe the problem was with mine. I attempted to remove the power lead from the starter solenoid and the post snapped off. I replaced the starter and sanded the battery lead ends to a nice shiny finish and my "check charging system" flickering error went away.

Tazmangk

Reaction score
I'm having a similar problem, battery light came on yesterday( 04 Expy, 5.4l ) stopped at O'Reilly auto, they tested battery and alternator output, all good, said battery (2 yr old Napa )needed a good charge. Put it on charger over nite, battery light still on, drove 18 miles to work, by the time I got to work lights were very dim, volt gauge bottomed out.
Had it towed home, started right up, put it back on charger, reads a full charge.
Now I'm scratching my head, battery connections tight and clean, nothing looks out of place.
Drive it for 10 minutes, lights go dim, Windows barely go up, wipers don't work..gauges stop working but engine still running, then everything brightens up , gauges work but tranny kicks in and out of drive....wth? If I turn off overdrive it shifts like normal , volt gauge back up to over half battery light not on.
This really has me stumped

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This one is easy.....

Consider where you live - salty roads in winter? Corrosion in the wiring or connections will be the most probable cause.

Look in the electrical section on the site for the procedure on "voltage drop testing".

Now, about those so called mechanics at the auto parts stores. Good they checked the battery and alternator output. Bad that they state the battery needs a charge after telling you the alternator is working and don't look farther. I teach this stuff and it boils my blood when people pull this crap on those that don't what is going on.

Do you have a test light and/or digital multi meter?

Last edited:

06 Eddie

Reaction score
OP.......Put a direct replacement motorcraft alternator in. Spend the money. The auto part store rebuilds are a problem for these vehicles.

Taz-check or replace your fusible link cable that runs from the alternator to the battery. Seems like a faulty alternator or problem getting charge to the battery full time.

If you don't have the knowledge or time to self diagnose just take it to the shop. I recently had a dead battery. It was drained completely and it was brand new along with the fusible link and alternator. Turns out the rear window wiper motor seized and was drawing power every 25 seconds on the dot trying to turn itself off. The fix was removing the fuse. Not to make this thread about my issue but point being is these things have so many power accessory options that there are a million ways to have charging issues and battery power draws including poor performing rebuilt alternators that are under powered. Good luck