Cost of New Brake Pads and Rotors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
from all my research, the "best" rotors for daily driving or towing are the heavy, solid rotors; they will carry a higher heat load before developing issues. drilled and slotted rotors are best for constant brake use - they dump heat faster than others, forestalling issues such as fade.

postwick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
from all my research, the "best" rotors for daily driving or towing are the heavy, solid rotors; they will carry a higher heat load before developing issues. drilled and slotted rotors are best for constant brake use - they dump heat faster than others, forestalling issues such as fade.

Except that's not true. By drilling you are removing metal. Metal has a higher heat capacity than air. If there was anything to drilled rotors, they'd use them on race cars. Ever seen drilled rotors on a F1? They're constantly braking, of course.

new_to_towing

Reaction score
What is a reasonable price to pay for new front pads and rotors on a 2013 Expedition 4x4?

I also have a 2013 4x4. From my point of view, I find it amazing that I can go to Quick Lane, pay $50 for an oil change and tire rotation, and have a latte and do a few crossword puzzles while it's done. I recently had the front brakes replaced so I had 2 lattes. My wife and I are ordinary drivers doing a mix of highway and local trips and I got 89,000 miles from the original brakes. Parts and labor at the dealer came to $475.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
... Some Jiffy oil and brake places are good, I suppose. A few must be. In my lifetime, every one I came by, heard about or visited sucked. In every case, the saps who gave them money were literally throwing it away and ruining their cars.

Enjoy your latte. It can be the most expensive one you've ever bought.

Last edited:

new_to_towing

Reaction score
Some people prefer to see the glass half full, others half empty. I credit my wife for helping me become a half full person.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I also have a 2013 4x4. From my point of view, I find it amazing that I can go to Quick Lane, pay $50 for an oil change and tire rotation, and have a latte and do a few crossword puzzles while it's done.

The real money in these places is in the upselling, unnecessary repairs and sabotage-necessitated repairs. Despite these things being the subject of many exposés and my grandfather actually receiving a settlement from Sears as part of a massive class action, I still frequented these places on occasion (despite my less-than-stellar experiences, once of which included STS knocking something loose so oil sprayed all over my engine compartment). Heck, I was super excited when I picked up a Groupon for $10 for an oil change and tire rotation at the local Meineke as it saved me the trouble of getting the wife's car up on ramps, removing the 16-screw skid plate, changing the cartridge filter, etc. The first trip actually went fine, so I picked up a second Groupon. The second time they drained half her brake fluid and tried to con her into an $800 brake job. They used the spongy brakes to demonstrate how badly she needed it, but she declined. At that point, they could have at least recognized the con was up and refilled the fluid before letting her drive home the 25 minutes over "the mountain" as we locals call it. Instead, they just let her go and I guess it wasn't their problem if she wrecked on the way. That was the last time any of our vehicles went to a quick lube. At least when I do my own oil changes, I know that no one is draining fluids, yanking hoses, etc. to create a need for repairs.