Cracked low pressure a/c fitting how to?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Cracked high pressure a/c fitting how to?

Hey everyone.

After being away for nearly a month, wife says a/c acting up. While out & about today, 95*, she was correct. At one stop sign, I notice "steam" coming from under right side of hood. Upon looking, turns out to be refrigerant.

Once home, a closer inspection revealed that the fitting from the condenser forward of the high-pressure side port was cracked.

My questions:
1. can it be soldered/welded? If so can this do it your-selfer do it myself or defer to the pros?
1a. do i have to remove the condenser to effect this repair, or is there a threaded fitting i haven't discovered yet...(too hot to work on.) and i get the replacement line from the blue oval team.
2. where is the disconnect for this line on the lower half of the system, i.e. is it below the u-turn in the line going into the large aluminum canister and another disconnection fitting perhaps?
3. approx how much refrig (134a) does the system hold as its an eddie bauer w/ rear heating/air etc. i think my manual says 32 oz?

Thanks in advance for future replies/pointers etc.
you guys rock!

PanHandler.

Attachments

• Low pressure.jpg
    Low pressure.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 361
Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Condenser and lines at that point are high pressure, they can be brazed but I replace with new. Of the few repairs that I've heard about, none have been successful.
You can google for the systems capacity. Mine has rear air also - 58oz of R134a and 14oz of oil.

Last edited:
OP
OP
1997SCEBFEX

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update: Blue oval team easily replaced the whole umbilical and changed out the original compressor too as it showed oil creeping out of several places.

Not cheap, some military appreciation relief, but works like new.

PanHandler.