Cranks by it self....Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RIVERA RACING

Reaction score
I have a 04 Expedition when I start the truck I hear the starter spinning and when I turn off the truck it stays cranking..........Help please....

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The usual culprit is the starter solenoid mounted on the firewall. The other possibility would be an ignition switch that is failing internally - long shot though.

Should it do it again have something handy to hit the solenoid body. The shock usually will release the contacts inside.

Don't let this go or you will be replacing the starter soon.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The component location views didn't show the location. The wiring diagram indicates it may be in the central junction box

Attachments

• 2004 starting system.pdf
    32 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Best thing to do is look at your user manual for the fuse box layout so that you will know which relay it is. If you don't have the manual it is available online.

I wish I could tell you but mine is 1st gen.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can't tell you if it is or not but it is relay 01 per the owner's manual.

If you have basic electrical/electronic tools you can replace or upgrade the relay/fuse box to take externally mounted replaceable relays.