Cutting back and cutting off while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wrcampbell

Reaction score
Hey guys a new issue just poped up this morning with my 03 exp 5.4l. Started it earlier headin to town and it died and came right back. Stopped at store and everything seem fine. Came back out and started it right up and drove a 1/2 mile at it just cut off. It poped up check fuel cap on message center when it died also.
tried to start it but would'nt even attempt to turn over and could hear a low buzz coming from fuse box area, maybe a relay. waited about five mins while i was looking to see which relay was starter or fuel and i figured id try it and reached over and started right up. I cut off and pulled a couple of the larger relays and make i didnt see any burnt ends or anything. Well it started right up and i drove it straight home and started researching the problem. I see there are few different issues about this subject. I have heard relays make that noise in the past when i have a had a customers car come in with a dead battery, I see some one pasted that the 03 has wire failure issue from the alternator harness... any other ideas or should i start there?? Thanks

Update: While running a a voltage drop test on alternator wire i noticed a crack in the positive battery cable terminal.<Someone had replaced the factory terminal with standard top post terminal> Well i went to look closer and it fell apart. I am thinking that might have been my problem but why did the check fuel cap message come on as it died. Been over a week sense gas refill.????

Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check fuel cap is from a pressure sensor in the fuel tank. Possibly a different issue than the no start.
The buzzing is from low voltage at the relay.
If the no start continues you may need to take a closer look at the fuse box. I believe the 03's fuel pump relay is soldered on instead of socketed. A repair is possible if you know how to solder, others bite the bullet and buy new.

OP
OP
W

wrcampbell

Reaction score
Yea seems ok with unbroken batt term now. probby gonna buy a new gas cap tomorrow maybe just bad timing for that to pop up right then lol

Lostneye

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would wait on the gas cap. Newer cars are heavily dependent on computers and voltage issues can easily cause gremlins/error messages that aren't real problems besides some computer/system not getting the power it needs.

OP
OP
W

wrcampbell

Reaction score
Thanks for the info :) So far no issues since battery term replaced but really havent had time to drive it hadly at all

OP
OP
W

wrcampbell

Reaction score
Again???

Ok update. Wife has been driving 03 for a few days now back and forth to work. She just called and said it wont start. Ok doin same thing again. All lights come on when you turn on switch but when you turn to start nothing happens but you can hear the relays buzzing. Battery has full charge and getting full power as far as i can tell. Any ideas or directions i might want to look next??? Thanks

Update to Update!!! I know it sounds kinda dumb!!

Found out issue now i am sure. After some online research i see a problem with relay R203 aka PCM relay. Seems to burn up relays and cause this issue. Well sure enough i go try and thats it. The relay is burnt and test with new relay. New relay and it starts no problem, take the relay out to remove the connection and there is the buzzing sound i was hearing.

Ok next question. This is another problem with the fuse boxes in the 2003's. Should i take it out and try to see if the board needs any solder repair and so is this a perm fix or will it come back? Or just go buy the new fuse box from ford. I checked with the ford dealer we buy all our parts from and the fuse box is $362.00. Thinking of just buying new one.. Any suggestions or thoughts
?

Last edited:

Skauber

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think if you have basic soldering skills, and the time to wait for shipping, you're better off spending a few bucks on a new relay on ebay and replacing it yourself. Spend the other 340-ish bucks on something else. :) Just don't go for the cheapest chinese noname stuff, get proper Omron relays.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can get by just replacing the PCM relay for a while, but in the end the fuel pump micro relay there in the middle of the fuse box is going to burn up and leave you stranded. If you can do without the Expy for a week or so there's fusebox repair services on Ebay that will install a new (improved ?) fuel pump micro relay and recondition the box for $50-$75 . That's not a bad deal considering the huge hassle it is to try and re-solder that relay. Or you can just buy a whole new fuse box online for about $380 now. They're getting harder to find new. I ended up replacing my fusebox a few years ago, but I always keep a spare PCM relay in the glovebox now just in case.

-Mike

Repair service ....
2003-2004-2005-2006-FORD-EXPEDITION-LINCOLN-NAVIGATOR-FUSE-BOX-REPAIR-SERVICE

Or buy new .....
http://www.autopartscheaper.com/2003-Ford-Expedition-Fuse-Central-Junction-Box

Skauber

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it was me, I think I would trace the PCB and find out where the relay goes to, then solder heavy gauge wires and mount a external relay box of my own with relay sockets and effectively make them replaceable again. I really don't like the idea of non-serviceable relays integrated in the fuse box, but so far mine hasn't had any issues with it.. :)

OP
OP
W

wrcampbell

Reaction score
OK its acting up again. now its back to same thing, everything lights up and when you turn the switch nothing happens and changing the pcm relay does nothing. the relay i put in it back in january is burnt up badly and i am guessing that the fuse box connects maybe burnt up badly inside. fixing to go pull fuse box out and look it over. Is there anything else i should be looking for with this issue? Thanks in advance!