DIY Bedliner Advice Needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm considering applying bedliner to my rocker panels and the bottom of the doors to help ward off rust before I have to deal with another harsh winter here in New England.

I know people here have used DIY bedliner before, so please provide me your insights.

What I'd like to here:
Brands (Herculiner, Rhinoliner, Monstaliner, Rustoleum, etc....)
Methods (Roll/Brush, Aerosol cans, spray gun, etc...)
Results (What you'd do differently, what worked/didn't work, etc...)

I want to keep things EASY and cheap, but I want results that I will be satisfied with for years. My main goal is to stop/prevent rust on the rockers and doors. I want bedliner in black to match the trim on the truck. I need something that is durable and long-lasting. Thanks in advance!:happy160:

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i herculined my entire cargo area. i used the roll/brush on application. the kit cost around 80 bucks. biggest thing is PREP.....PREP, PREP, PREP! i cannot stress this enough. application is easy. do one coat, not too thick. let dry for 2 hrs, then apply another coat. i would probably do this about 3 coats or so because i still need to do one more coat on the cargo area. there are pics in my albums if you want to take a look. it looks good, holds up well, but i am not sure how it will do as an exterior application. by this i mean i am not sure if it will fade with the sunlight or not, or how well it would do in a car wash/pressure washer situation. because it is textured, it is harder to make it look super clean once it gets dirty because you cannot wax it, but you could probably spray on some tire shine and call it good. anyhow, this is where i stand. i thought about doing the same thing as i am moving back to iowa this year so my truck will start seeing more snow/ice/salt than used to (FL truck). let me know how it holds up if you decide to use this product. good luck.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
a lot of us use rusto rattle cans. i used mine on my steps sides, and most plastic pieces so far. have lots to do still. i put it on my tow hooks and hitch too. prep is going to take the longest. clean the areas you want done. clean them good! then tape off everything you dont want bed lined then go to town. i got this stuff on my paint and let it dry for a few weeks. :badidea: but with a lot of window cleaner as lubricant, an old rag and a little elbow grease it came right off. not a scratch.

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheap way would be use rustoleum bedliner.... and then some clear coat over it..... clean body with dawn soap to remove grease and grime and then let it dry before you paint it.... but the best way to do it is look into the RAPTOR bedliner kit...it needs a compressor to spray it but it is awesome... and a lot cheaper than rhino-liner..

OP
OP
R

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't care too much if it fades over time, strength and durability are my prime concern. What do you guys think are the top 3 brands in that respect? Also does application method matter all that much (roll/brush, spray)?

2000eb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i would use powdered tide if you dont have wax and grease remover. powdered tide does not leave and residue. i worked at a paint shop and a paint store in the past and thats what we always recommended. works awesome as a final prep. then dont touch the areas to be sprayed with your fingers. there are natural oils on your hands. i have seen a freshly painted car that had a wrinkled hand print in it more then once

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i would use powdered tide if you dont have wax and grease remover. powdered tide does not leave and residue. i worked at a paint shop and a paint store in the past and thats what we always recommended. works awesome as a final prep. then dont touch the areas to be sprayed with your fingers. there are natural oils on your hands. i have seen a freshly painted car that had a wrinkled hand print in it more then once

ive seen that too. all the pros that ive seen only touch paint IF and only IF they have to with a white glove. not sure if its clothe or latex. but not with their bare hands.

Soldier777

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am out in the rockies and we get some pretty crazy weather. My truck looks as good as it did the day I sprayed it. I used rustoluem rattle can for the whole thing. that stuff is extremely durable, Check my album if you want some pics :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PaulMedik