Does 4x8 Plywood/Drywall Fit in the back of a 2022?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ROBERT BONNER

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree with a lot of what's been said above on cargo size. My MAX will accommodate 4x8's pretty easily as long as you have someone reaching in from a side door to help guide and use some load blankets or other protection to keep edges from contacting trim surfaces. It's a good idea to block them in place or use ratchet straps to keep them from shifting and causing damage during transit. Trucks and trailers are easier; but, if weather is a concern, they need to be enclosed or covered.

Relative to Payload. Lots of things go into calculations. A. Ultimately you never want to overload tires. B. You need to know that all vehicle dynamics, acceleration, braking, cornering are affected by vehicle weight and distribution. The payload sticker represents the safe payload at placard cold tire inflation. Once you overload an axle and or the vehicle you are in untested territory relative to vehicle dynamics.

Read your tires. Normally your tires will support a higher GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight) and GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Rating) than the sticker shows. That's because the tire's max load capability is at the tire's max inflation which will be typed on the sidewall and is typically higher than the pressure on the placard on your Light Truck. Do the math, generally if you are concerned about getting close to or exceeding your rear GAWR, you can improve your tire safety margin by inflating between Placard and Tire max inflation. Never go over the Tire max. You will still be changing your vehicle dynamics.

Also keep in mind that like with many light vehicles, these Ratings can be surprisingly easy to exceed on your Expedition. Take the 1785 lb payload example above. It's a lot, right? More than 3/4 ton. 25 gallons of gas = 165 lb. With an 8 pass if your adults/kids weigh: 2x220, 2x150, 4x110, you're left with 440 lbs for luggage/safety margin, which seems like plenty of room; but, I'll bet if you measure your rear GAWR you have a lot less safety margin than that. Very likely with that loading inside the passenger compartment, you can't afford the weight to tow anything or hang anything off of the hitch. If you regularly load this way for long trips, stop by the CAT scales and see where your axles, in particular, your rear axle is at.

Jeka

Reaction score
I'm thinking of someday replacing my 2007 Nissan Armada and, as much as I have loved it, it seems the competition has surpassed.

This has me considering the Expedition (Regular, not Max).

I searched but did not see anything definitive. So my questions:

1) Does a 4x8 sheet of plywood fit in the back?
2) Will the rear hatch close?
3) Is there any room on the sides (even enough for a moving blanket to protect) or will it scratch up the interior?
4) Any pics? :)

Thanks!
I have 2018 Max, so can speak for it. Regular, just my speculations...
1) Max - yes; Regular - most likely no (see #2)
2) Max - yes; Regular - most likely no, even if you move the seats all the way, you might need to remove the central console between the front seats or elevate your load to clear it.
3) Yes
4) See attached, sorry just one pic of my home DIY project... had to remove child seats from the second row to fold it down

PS: my biggest concern was the load could smash the climate and audio controls for the second row on braking, so had to put some 2x4 behind the front seats.

4x8a.jpg

catmandu

Reaction score
Just a counterpoint on MAX or not: Swapped the EL for Regular last time around, as the dogs had died, the kids were leaving the nest, and close-quarter maneuvering of the long chassis was becoming bothersome. I have been completely good with the decision, the occasional 4x8 sheets with an open but secured gate work, and our one family road trip was fine with a cargo carrier in the receiver hitch and some stuff on the roof rack. Rather than a trailer, I have larger loads of materials delivered for $50.

keny01998

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Home Depot will rent you a truck for 20 bucks. Gets your load home.
I also rent the F250 truck from Home Depot and it ended up cost me over $50. I live about 10 miles away. The $20 is only for the first 1 hour. By the time I spent to load the materials to the truck, it took me over 30 minutes, drove home, and unload, came back. The entire trip was over 2 hours for me since I did everything myself. However, I would still recommend to rent it than use the Expedition and end up scratching the interiors.

PS: Regular Expedition does not fit 4x8 plywood :)

OP
OP
S

spta97

Reaction score
Definitely should consider a max.

When/if I go shopping I will. Funny, it's just the looks that turn me off about it.

Never so far have wished my EL was shorter - there's always more stuff to load than I can imagine.
Good point!
Everytime I load ours for vacation or whatever I always wish I had an EL or Max. Never once have I thought I'm glad this is a foot shorter instead.

I have hauled 4x8 foam sheets in a 2008 Armada and my EB though, for some reason I feel like the Armada had an inch or two more space behid the seats than my 03.
What are your thoughts on the Exp vs. the Armada?
When I built my shed and needed to haul those 4x8 plywood, I had to leave the gate opened and strap it with couple straps. Make sure you use a lot of moving blankets to protect the interior. I was able to haul 2x4x12 stick out from the gate's window.
I've used my rear window often for sticking 2x12 items out of it. The lack of the opening rear window on the new Armada is pretty much a deal breaker for me.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on the Exp vs. the Armada
I can speak on this, I had an 18 expy and now have an 18 armada. Honestly, the expy was better in every way but Interior design and ambiance. Expy rode and handled better, better fuel econ, more space Inside that's easier to use.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When/if I go shopping I will. Funny, it's just the looks that turn me off about it.

Good point!

What are your thoughts on the Exp vs. the Armada?

I've used my rear window often for sticking 2x12 items out of it. The lack of the opening rear window on the new Armada is pretty much a deal breaker for me.
It has been 2 years since I've driven that Armada, an extended family member owns it. I would say it's fine...comparable? I do prefer the seats in the expedition more (more space, especially in the 3rd row as we have kids, i didnt have any of them in there obviously but it was noticeably more cramped) in general I like my expy better but it's likely due to mine being an EB and the Armada was a base model with cloth seats, I have all the options they had none. Power windows, seats, and mirrors were about it. It had more power, motor wise which was noticeable in town and on the hwy though had more cabin noise.