Doing the old car shuffle (to the auto shop, that is)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ganchan

Reaction score
Not long ago it was the rear differential (which, in all fairness, had been neglected by the previous owner). Today it's a coolant leak that seems to be related to the water pump. These are not unexpected issues for a car pushing 200,000 miles. I still believe it's cheaper than buying an all-new car, and the Exp has run very well most of the time. I just...well...ya know? :disgust:

Bain64

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good luck friend! I just bought an '03 and then put over 30% of my purchase price into maintenance and parts! Hoping I stemmed the tide for a while at least.

OP
OP
G

ganchan

Reaction score
The bright side(I guess) is that the car had much of its major maintenance/overhauls/part replacements before I bought it. A couple of mechanics have commented on how new (for its age) it looks from underneath. I tell them, "That's because most of it IS new!"

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
People make fun of me tell me Im wasting money dropping all the fluids on a regular basis. I mean all of them, coolant, p/s, brake, tranny, and oil every 3k. But here I am with 175,*** and my truck looks showroom new, no rust, no rips or tears, no major parts failures, even the original ac compressor. My truck is garage kept and I tow 3000lb boat rig. I installed a brake controller, and now Im thinking about a obdII to monitor tranny temps when hauling long distances - chicago to florida.

I have done this with all my cars, I just retired my beloved 1992 BMW 735i, with 295,*** the tranny just went on it so I donated it to veterans org. When they came to pick it up they tried to talk me out of it as the car was cherry other than the tranny. I bought that car off the showroom in 1993. Loved that car. But I maintained the hell out of it and it gave me everything she had.

Now the same goes for my truck.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You know what Machete, a friend of mine said to me when I commented my older brother was babying his motorcycle year's back, his response was he's making it last! 40 years later, those words never rang truer. I believe in over maintenance too. You read this column, and see one bonehead after another, that just doesn't get it, the newer vehicles need clean oil/transmission fluid/etc to survive. When the manufactures decided to make motors faster, and emission ready, oiling problems started. You'll have the last laugh!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

blackburb

Reaction score
Not long ago it was the rear differential (which, in all fairness, had been neglected by the previous owner). Today it's a coolant leak that seems to be related to the water pump. These are not unexpected issues for a car pushing 200,000 miles. I still believe it's cheaper than buying an all-new car, and the Exp has run very well most of the time. I just...well...ya know? :disgust:

Please, please, please stop referring to the Expy as a car. It's a TRUCK dammit!

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's kinda both. Remember even though it's built on the F150 platform, customers treat it like a modern day Station wagon, but yeah its a truck with a top on it!

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
You know what Machete, a friend of mine said to me when I commented my older brother was babying his motorcycle year's back, his response was he's making it last! 40 years later, those words never rang truer. I believe in over maintenance too. You read this column, and see one bonehead after another, that just doesn't get it, the newer vehicles need clean oil/transmission fluid/etc to survive. When the manufactures decided to make motors faster, and emission ready, oiling problems started. You'll have the last laugh!

Moose, my harley is a 1971 shovelhead rigid chopper kickstart only jockey shifter, my boat is a 1971 searay w a 1971 mercruiser 120hp that runs like a clock...Ive learned that like you said, over maintenance now can save you big bucks later.

What Im seeing is the constant tug to buy new. I get the bug all the time but then when I think about having payments of any kind again I just cant pull the trigger. I own my toys, yes theyre old but theyre in great condition. Ive come to like old things with just enough patina to show the vintage without looking worn out.

Smooth roads to you.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ah 1971, probably the highest horsepower year for muscle cars. At least you can work on the 70's stuff. With the Expeditions, it takes close to a whole day to do what takes an hour on your stuff!