Engine swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dryer Dave

Reaction score
As we all know, the 1st and 2cd Expedition had the 5.4L 2 valve motor. Has there been any discussion about swapping out the original motor for a different, more reliable one? Just curious as to what the overriding opinions have been. TIA

kep5niner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The general consensus is the juice ain’t worth the squeeze. I did put a re-man’d 5.4 2v in my ‘03 EB last summer, and the replacement engine supposedly addressed all of the known issues with that vintage 5.4 (timing chain guides, phasers, oil pump, etc).

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What engine would be more reliable that would be a reasonably easy swap? Now if you're talking about going old school like a 351W or 460 in that case I would agree, but I'd be concerned about keeping it street legal. I couldn't get through VA state inspection with and old school engine, :-(.

texasscot

Reaction score
As we all know, the 1st and 2cd Expedition had the 5.4L 2 valve motor. Has there been any discussion about swapping out the original motor for a different, more reliable one? Just curious as to what the overriding opinions have been. TIA
I always thought the 3v was the less reliable motor. It has the troubling cam phasers, but I don’t think the 2v does.

Broncoholic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
More reliable? I have 175k miles in the Florida heat with my 2003 5.4 2 valve. I've never had to touch the internals. Seems pretty reliable to me.

texasscot

Reaction score
More reliable? I have 175k miles in the Florida heat with my 2003 5.4 2 valve. I've never had to touch the internals. Seems pretty reliable to me.
i have 272K miles on mine, only engine intervention was inlet manifold (in addition to usual plugs n coils). i'm going to do the chain and guides soon, all parts sourced and waiting for quieter travel schedule.

Broncoholic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i have 272K miles on mine, only engine intervention was inlet manifold (in addition to usual plugs n coils). i'm going to do the chain and guides soon, all parts sourced and waiting for quieter travel schedule.
Yes, I've replaced my intake manifold also... and the routine maintenance including plugs and coils, but the engine internals have been solid. And I've seen many like you with 200k+ or 300k+ on the original internals, so I don't agree with the question of reliability.

Reaction score
1998 EB 5.4 has 280000. 2000 EB 5.4 has 450000, 2003 EB 5.4 has 120000. coil packs belts plugs and hoses the only things replaced on the older two. Can't agree that its unreliable.

proftomda

Reaction score
I have the 5.4 2 valve and three valve and I can assure you that the two valve engine is the most reliable engine that has been installed in any expedition. The only issue possibly is spark plug blowout. Keep your 5.4 2 valve, change all every 5000 miles, replace the spark plugs and torque accordingly and enjoy reliability that does not exist with vehicles built today.