Exhaust help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CookieMan12

Reaction score
I've read through the threads for days, but there seem to be differing opinions on exhaust. I plan to leave the factory piping, but want to replace my muffler. From what I have read, it seems that chambered mufflers are louder and cause more drone than straight through mufflers. Other sources I have read say that straight through mufflers are louder. I'm not considering glass packs here, but straight through mufflers such as a magnaflow.

What I would like is something without drone in the cab at cruising speeds, but will get louder under heavy acceleration. I'm not looking for anything that is obnoxiously loud, but something that gives that good, deep V8 sound.

I have a 2011 XLT.

Also, what size muffler do I need? Center in/out? Offset in/center out? Offset in/out?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Another question about the straight through mufflers. Does a larger body cut down on just the drone or the sound altogether? I would guess that it would cut down all the sound, but am not sure.

Last edited:

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
70 series flowmaster has less drone...almost nonexistent....that would be the one for you

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
http://www.amazon.com/Magnaflow-16379-Performance-Exhaust-Kit/dp/B004SCQTKG/ref=au_as_r?ie=UTF8&Make=Ford%7C54&Model=Expedition%7C662&Year=2011%7C2011&carId=001&n=15684181&newCar=1&s=automotive&vehicleType=automotive

The straight through designs are essentially glass packs, just larger cases.

As long as it is just a cat back system I don't think you would have a lot of drone regardless of muffler choice. Hopefully anyone with them in 3rd gen expys will reply with their experience. You can try searching youtube and read as many reviews as possible on any particular setup.

I think the dynomax VT would be ideal based on what you said but did not find any listed for the 2011 expedition.

Last edited:

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
So, would you label the switch Woman/No Woman? Those are pretty cool, though!

lol.....

You could install a pressure sensitive switch in the passenger seat calibrated to your wifes weight so when she is in the vehicle it automatic switches to the quiet setting!

Gotta love google. Once you have a part number its easy to find the best prices. Just have to remember to add shipping if it applies. :)

Last edited:

bricekin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is my 07 with a Flowmaster 50 series with single 3" offset in/out welded in place with the factory piping. I would definitely refer to this setup as very mild compared to some of the other exhaust setups I've had on other vehicles. Nice throaty idle and moderate acceleration that you can hear in the cabin but not overly powerful. I haven't noticed a ton of drone from this setup since I've got it done.

Keep in mind that in the video, the truck is parked in a garage and next to another vehicle... That's going to bump up the sound a little bit in the video. But if you have it parked outside and someone starts it, you'll definitely know.

th_20130302_182120.jpg

CJ0920

Reaction score
I was reading about that Dynomax with the valve in it. I'd be interested as well to see what that sounds like.

Bricekin, sounds good. I'd be interested in hearing a few more videos.

OP, I've had magnaflow's on a bunch of my vehicles and have been happy...

bricekin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was reading about that Dynomax with the valve in it. I'd be interested as well to see what that sounds like.

Bricekin, sounds good. I'd be interested in hearing a few more videos.

OP, I've had magnaflow's on a bunch of my vehicles and have been happy...

Thanks!
My friend has a GoPro camera that I've been trying to get him to let me borrow for a couple months. I'd like to get a clip at the tip while accelerating and one front either the headrest or the dash for interior noise levels. as a reference, these two videos were shot with the same camera in case anyone wants to try to compare overall volume. The Expedition in life is nowhere near as loud as these two cars.

This was my 4.6L Thunderbird with a Magnaflow Dual 2.5" in/out with no cats.

th_P1000900.jpg

And this is my straight piped A4.

th_P1000943.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FukNshT