Expy for off-roading?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

craig sargood

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Back to off roading in my ford. Took it out again this weekend for some light off roading as I’m still in engine break in period. Drives well, although I almost got stuck in some sand in a wash, definitely need to upgrade to lockers.

45A74D1F-F910-4B3F-90B4-011AE7104AC1.jpeg

7D72F234-11B9-4A40-862C-8FEFA43652C7.jpeg

05BDFAE5-C26B-4B75-85D8-5E5C37F9FE6A.jpeg

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was going to add a Truetrac to my rear of my 2000 before I got rid of it. I have them front and rear in my SAS’d Explorer and they work pretty well. Not as complex as lockers, but don’t work quite as well either. Some trade offs.

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was going to add a Truetrac to my rear of my 2000 before I got rid of it. I have them front and rear in my SAS’d Explorer and they work pretty well. Not as complex as lockers, but don’t work quite as well either. Some trade offs.

What year is your expy and what years did they put lockers in...? I believe the 4th gen w/tow package have lockers?

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What year is your expy and what years did they put lockers in...? I believe the 4th gen w/tow package have lockers?

I’d be surprised if the 4th gen has a locker. Lockers are pretty much reserved for offroad oriented vehicles- like the Jeep Rubicon and the offroad versions of the Ranger and Chevy mid size pickup. The 4th gen Expedition more than likely has a limited slip or some kind of torque biasing system.

I had a 2000 that I was considering adding a Truetrac. But I didn’t. Now I have a 2014. It won’t get anything.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What’s the true trac ?? I’m still learning

A Truetrac is a geared limited slip- no clutches. Basically invisible when you don’t want them, but there when you do want them. Unless you lift a tire- then you need to left foot brake to fool the diff to send power to both sides. It’s all kind of magical since it’s entirely gear based- no electrics, pneumatics, wires, nothing. Just magic. My Explorer flexes so well that I never lift a tire. Snow wheeling, they can act like open diffs and need some left foot braking.

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’d be surprised if the 4th gen has a locker. Lockers are pretty much reserved for offroad oriented vehicles- like the Jeep Rubicon and the offroad versions of the Ranger and Chevy mid size pickup. The 4th gen Expedition more than likely has a limited slip or some kind of torque biasing system.

I had a 2000 that I was considering adding a Truetrac. But I didn’t. Now I have a 2014. It won’t get anything.

Pretty sure it does in the FX4 and black label Navi at the very least. Could be wrong. Anyone out there know for sure?

https://www.autoweek.com/drives/a18...irst-drive-two-sizes-three-rows-all-families/

https://social.ford.com/en_US/posts.html/vehicle-type/suv/fxrb-2018_expedition-th.html?page=1

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
expresspedition