Fuel filter resistance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
and0r

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fuel pump pressure will be reduced measuring at the fuel rail with a clogged filter. The pump is designed to pump just so much, the regulator like your alternator See's to that. One of the main reasons I, and so many here tell you guys that are having driveability issues to check fuel pump pressure. If you suspect a filter, you can actually check it before filter by cranking. As complex as newer cars get, it all boils down to the four things my high school auto shop teacher said. Besides fuel and spark, you need a sound motor. Or as he put it the four strokes, suck, squeeze, bank, and blow!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

yeah the reduced pressure probably does more good. less wear on the injectors and that lolford plastic i fear is lurking somewhere down the line

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hate to tell you this but a pump is at the highest effort when the flow is at "0 liters per minute" with the pump running. Depending on the design of the pump, a lack of flow can cause the pump to stall.
A clogged fuel filter blocks flow which increases strain on the pump. Which in turn creates extra heat in the pumps motor. The fuel in the tank is used to remove heat from the pump to make it last longer.

The lowest strain on the pump is when flow is at a maximum. To meet that requirement there is no resistance in the output and input lines other than the friction from the inner walls of the lines and the fluid being pumped.

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Kinda like Monster Cables theory of better sound and less resistance with the 6 gauge vs 16 gauge speaker cable. Just like your heart trying to pump blood. If your arteries are clogged, it strains to get blood to the brain, the feet, arms, etc. Wonder if the heart gets hot trying to overcome blockage, like the fuel pump? We're running at 98.6, wonder what fuel temp in the tank is at the pump?

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yeah the reduced pressure probably does more good. less wear on the injectors and that lolford plastic i fear is lurking somewhere down the line

Everyone here is correct. Your assumptions are not how it plays out in fuel injected systems.

There is no such thing as increased wear and tear on fuel injectors. There is debris clogging them up and too little pressure to fire(spray).

A fuel line leaking or blowing out is same in all but one place (I'll get to that in a sec) whether you have a no fuel filter, a new one, or a restricted one.
If you have a restricted one....the pressure is still the exact same past the filter in about 3 seconds. It's builds up to the same whatever pressure the pump and regulator allows it to.
If the filter is restricted, it lowers VOLUME of fuel which affects engines running and driving but does not change the peak pressure it hits once it is sitting there with key on engine off or idling using far less fuel than the pump provides.
NOW IF the filter is clogged up, the tubing from the pump in tank to the filter DOES spike in pressure until the flow works it way through the filter media.
This is not only bad on the pump as other have stated, but could be bad on that part of line..which goes against the theory you stated, BUT is not going to happen because that is not where the lines rust and get weak. They typically rust after filter along frame rail.

I have done lots or filters in my life and only seen two that were really clogged.
One I could barely blow with mouth through it and other not a chance! The more open one still ran fine. The severely clogged one ran but at hard or full throttle starved for fuel and surged badly.

A 150K fuel filter will only give a little resistance to blowing through it and the human mouth can only blow like 1.5-2 psi (golf balls through garden hoses are different).
A lot of the slight restriction you will feel blowing though an old one is just the wtting of the media.
Wet the new one and it much closer.
So in reality, it's not going to make much difference.
You will get a little better flow but negligible with new filter in 95%+ cases and you will get even less increase with NO filter vs new one.

So change the filter or forget about it. Removing won't help you.

If pump is weak, change filter and also get at less than 1/4 tank and put a whole quart or MMO Marvel's Mystery Oil in the tank.
That will lube pump and often helps.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Didn't we have a stubborn guy like this about 3 months ago guys? Why are you trying to reinvent physics? From the earliest days of the Romans, and Greeks trying to keep things smelling better, and waste flowing. And sir John Harrington of England who invented first flushing toilet, circa 1596 Queen Elizabeth #, Craps got to flow dude! Doesn't matter if it's waste or fuel. Do you think companies like K&N would spend all that money to design Air& Fuel filters to flow better than all the rest for a restricted flow? Naw, their successful because they work when others fail. A K&N air filter is so good that even at 1/2 restricted it flows better than a Motorcraft brand new. Let's end this silly forum soon, it's 5:00 pm somewhere! Margarita time guys!