Gas mileage ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hayes Riviere

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 2018 has a 3.5L, The 5.4l had only slight more. What is point, on gas mileage?
Yeah but 2000 technology is very different from 2018 technology. Plus, there is also the turbochargers to factor in, and the fact that there is better gas mileage tech that didn't exist so long ago. Still, I prefer my V8. :)

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course, the 4.6 is a pretty puny lil engine

The 4.6 isn't tiny compared to today's engines like the 3.5. The 5.4 is just gigantic. Huge deck height and just a bulky, top heavy (large heads)engine that has a large physical stance.

Last edited:

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
The 4.6 isn't tiny compared to today's engines. Looks like a blue whale next to a 3.5. If you've ever seen either out of their trucks. Yes the 5.4 is bigger, it's way big. The deck height on the 5.4 is very tall and overall it's a big bulky and TALL engine, but it's great on gas when geared correctly.
They used the 4.6l in Crown Vic P71 interceptor cop cars, GT Mustangs and Lincoln Town car for 18 years. They all performed well with this motor. Yes, it sucked in the Expedition. The truck version, does not have same power or mileage, no matter what it was rated at. The 5.4l was a pig on gas and not that powerful. The jury is still out on the 3.5ltt, people like them, much better, compared to 5.4L. It has 65 more hp and a couple more MPG.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They used the 4.6l in Crown Vic P71 interceptor cop cars, GT Mustangs and Lincoln Town car for 18 years. They all performed well with this motor. Yes, it sucked in the Expedition. The truck version, does not have same power or mileage, no matter what it was rated at. The 5.4l was a pig on gas and not that powerful. The jury is still out on the 3.5ltt, people like them, much better, compared to 5.4L.

The 4.6 wasn't a truck engine. The 5.4 has a way better torque curve to deliver power. 365 ft pounds is not lacking any power lol. Mine does fine on gas don't know what you mean by a gas pig. 5.4 Triton was designed to be a truck engine unlike the 4.6. The 3.5 does nothing for me I've driven plenty now. Torque comes in good and it goes but it feels blah compared to a Modular V8 when you get on the gas they don't have that roar. I like that I can throw 5,000 plus pounds behind me and not even feel it... can't say the 4.6 would do that.

Last edited:

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
The 4.6 wasn't a truck engine. The 5.4 has a way better torque curve to deliver power. 365 ft pounds is not lacking any power lol. Mine does fine on gas don't know what you mean by a gas pig. 5.4 Triton was designed to be a truck engine unlike the 4.6. The 3.5 does nothing for me I've driven plenty now. Torque comes in good and it goes but it feels blah compared to a Modular V8 when you get on the gas they don't have that roar.
The 5.4l make best power around 4000 rpm. That is screaming, foot to floor. The new 3.5l, makes power quicker, at a lower RPM. It is in its power band, were you need it, for normal driving.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 5.4l make best power around 4000 rpm. That is screaming, foot to floor. The new 3.5l, makes power quicker, at a lower RPM. It is in its power band, were you need it, for normal driving.

I won't drive the 3.5 simply because I know of a few who have had issues with them. It's a short-er term motor IMO. Maybe a coincidence, maybe not, not for me. A truck engine is designed for longevity and power in a happy medium... the ecoboost has crazy power but won't last as long and requires more maintenance. 5.4 reaches 365 ft pounds in 3,000 rpm range and has a pretty better torque curve compared to 4.6. The 5.4 is the red line and 4.6 is pink they speak for themselves.IMG_8429.JPG

Last edited:

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 4.6 isn't tiny compared to today's engines like the 3.5. The 5.4 is just gigantic. Huge deck height and just a bulky, top heavy (large heads)engine that has a large physical stance.

the 5.4 is what, 330CI? Kind of neat how our perspective on things changes over the years or for those of us of different ages....when I was a kid, we had three cars in our driveway...none of them had UNDER a 440CI engine with the Caddy having a 502CI (8.2L)engine.....THAT was a Gigantic engine........to me.

jeff

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the 5.4 is what, 330CI? Kind of neat how our perspective on things changes over the years or for those of us of different ages....when I was a kid, we had three cars in our driveway...none of them had UNDER a 440CI engine with the Caddy having a 502CI (8.2L)engine.....THAT was a Gigantic engine........to me.

jeff

Still see lots of 8.2s in the new boats... Mercruiser still loves to use twin 502s for both inboard and sterndrive power. It's the only thing that will push bigger cruisers around. People complain about gas in cars... try revving twin 502 V8s at 3,500 rpm for hours on end on a lake trip now that's eating gas, then once in a while you have to open them up to hear them scream at 4,500 rpm hehehe. I agree a 330 isn't that big in the block aspect but physically the 5.4 is huge because of its OHC design and gigantic head.

Last edited:

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

jeff
My dad was into Oldsmobile Cutlasses. We had a 72 with a 350 4 bbl carb, and then a 77 with the same engine. Then dad switched to Buicks by then the engines started getting smaller.