Grill question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff532003

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey guys. I've decided I want to replace the grill on my 98 expedition. Looking on eBay I see some grills that are marked 2wd only less marked 4wd only and the majority not specifying which they're for. So my question is, is there actually a difference between the two as far as mounting and fitment goes or is it just the style of the grill that's different?

Sent from the Millennium Falcon using Tapatalk 2

RobertNol

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The only difference you should have to pay attention to is some models had a flat bottom grille, others had a dip in the middle where the honeycomb is.

Im not sure if models/years made the diffrence or if it was just based on each individual vehicle.

OP
OP
Jeff532003

Jeff532003

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I really didn't see how there could be a difference between 4 and 2wd on the grill. Wonder why the sellers are labeling them 2wd or 4wd only.

Sent from the Millennium Falcon using Tapatalk 2

Maverick1701

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's what I thought but when I bought my 97 it had the grille with the dip, had me a little confused.

so does my 97 (have the grill with the dip/indent in the middle). I always thought it was the other way around. Are we sure on this before I commit it to memory?

I always thought 97-98 had this:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2f/97-98_Ford_Expedition.jpg

then 99-02 had this (because after I bought my 97 I was told I should have picked up a 99+ due to the facelift/updated front end)
http://static.cargurus.com/images/s..._eddie_bauer_suv-pic-2634530530595511521.jpeg

Last edited:

RobertNol

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I just did the old Google search and everything I am finding defiantly says that the "dip" started in 99. We must have both bought our vehicle that the previous owner swamped the front fascias. With that being said if you do decide to do the swap it's very easy all I needed was the grille, bumper and bumper mounts that mount the bumped to the frame.

Lightnig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
so does my 97 (have the grill with the dip/indent in the middle). I always thought it was the other way around.

This is the stock early gen 1 shape

Exp_Front_End_03.jpg

My '97 with a '98 F-150 grille.

Don't care for the PU style insert, but once I get an aftermarket insert it won't make a lick off difference.

The larger vertically, more oval shape came in later years. If that is what you have then it must have been swapped out by the previous owner...