Hauling a U-Haul 6x12 trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spotdog14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a few questions about hauling a 6x12 trailer for my sister in law. She is moving from Michigan to Baltimore and wants me to tow the trailer instead of renting a truck.

I have pulled trailers and 22ft boats before but I haven't gone this route before, I am assuming ill be going through the mountains with it. Does anyone have any advice pre-trip for me?

I have an 08 with the HD tow package, I have a 4" drop hitch that I use to tow my little trailer around with that I am assuming will be fine to use with the U-Haul with a 2" ball?

Thanks!

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Only advice I can think of is to make sure everything is good to go on your Expedition. I towed a trailer that size over a mountain with a smaller SUv and didn't have too many issues. I can't imagine an Expedition with the tow package having much to worry about.

jglopic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've towed these before with my Expeditions, and never had an issue. It's pretty smooth sailing.

Note that some older U-Haul trailers don't have standard wiring and you may have to buy an adapter. It's not expensive, and the rental location should have them. Also, if you don't have the 4 pin connector stock, make sure to get an adapter for the 7 pin plug before you go to get the trailer. They are a lot less expensive at Wal-Mart.

Dib52

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Might want to consider a 2 inch drop instead of the 4 inch. IMO the 4 inch will throw you out of wack with the tongue weight. As far as capacity, you're not even gonna get near 5000lbs, so the Expy probably won't even know its there. Just be prepared to watch the fuel gauge go faster than the speedo.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
It's also been my experience that the couplers on those trailers are usually worn and a bit sloppy. I like to stop more frequently than usual to check the connection, etc.

Look over the unit, check the tires, etc. before they do all the paperwork. If there's a nicer, unit with better tires in the lot, don't be afraid to ask for it.