HD tow and required addons

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm looking at getting a new expedition max and I'm wondering if i am seeing things right. Is it true you can't get the HD tow without leather seats and 2nd row captain's chairs?
I would like HD tow, but need the middle seat (to carry more people) and I still have car seats, which just murders leather seats.
Is Ford really going to make me choose a competitor because of their limited options?
My 19 is HD fully kitted every option Platinum 2nd row bench seat. Was cheaper than the marginally optioned limited non HD given the $85,000 msrp on the Platinums chased buyers to lower trims. Paid $72,000 after 10k dealer cut and Ford cash deal. The limited I found 150miles away was $78,000 no negotiation

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Time to shop dealers.

It can be difficult to find what you want "on the lot" as dealers order what in their opinion sells best -- it's their business model. Been 6 years now since I bought this Expedition and I had a difficult time and long search to get one with the "bench" 2d row seat. Not only does this allow 3 passengers back there but when the set cover in in place my Dachshunds don't keep falling on the floor in the big gap. This cover hooks between all 4 headrests so they are pretty secure.

My daughter's Brand X quasi-SUV has the "captains" chairs in the second row which are very convenient for strapping in her two pre-school children in their car seats (or so she says :) . )

-- Chuck
I don’t get the SUV 2nd row captains chairs thing. Buy a mini van! Couple of things the utility aspect of a SUV is pretty much ruined when you go captains chairs. You go to a 4 seat only vehicle when carrying gear, gear ends up in passenger space between the seats.

The best option is a bench that does a center flip down for the occasional need for easier rear 3rd row access with 5+ passengers little to no gear in the vehicle.

As for small children in car seats thats a very short time period and I rarely see moms with properly secured car seats who also properly take the time to check and secure said kids in the seats. Captains chairs especially in a suv with tight spaces around them on the floor and gear moving from trunk space to seating space just adds to the mess and probability of buckles getting popped loose. Marketing BS definitely drove the captains chair thing in SUVs.

lobsenza

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Time to shop dealers.

It can be difficult to find what you want "on the lot" as dealers order what in their opinion sells best -- it's their business model. Been 6 years now since I bought this Expedition and I had a difficult time and long search to get one with the "bench" 2d row seat. Not only does this allow 3 passengers back there but when the set cover in in place my Dachshunds don't keep falling on the floor in the big gap. This cover hooks between all 4 headrests so they are pretty secure.

My daughter's Brand X quasi-SUV has the "captains" chairs in the second row which are very convenient for strapping in her two pre-school children in their car seats (or so she says :) . )

-- Chuck
Special order what you want. It will probably be cheaper than buying off of the lot.

jjscsix

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don’t get the SUV 2nd row captains chairs thing. Buy a mini van! Couple of things the utility aspect of a SUV is pretty much ruined when you go captains chairs. You go to a 4 seat only vehicle when carrying gear, gear ends up in passenger space between the seats.

The best option is a bench that does a center flip down for the occasional need for easier rear 3rd row access with 5+ passengers little to no gear in the vehicle.

As for small children in car seats thats a very short time period and I rarely see moms with properly secured car seats who also properly take the time to check and secure said kids in the seats. Captains chairs especially in a suv with tight spaces around them on the floor and gear moving from trunk space to seating space just adds to the mess and probability of buckles getting popped loose. Marketing BS definitely drove the captains chair thing in SUVs.
You don’t have to get it, but dealers order what sells for them. I would not buy one without captains chairs. No need to explain why, that’s all I need and I like them. And my dog has more floor space to lay down in.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett