Headers on my 98 5.4L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RocketTech

Reaction score
Me Too

I'm going the same route you are, replacing manifolds with headers. I don't have a welder- any thoughts on a back-up to getting the bolts out? Would a right-angle air drill be a good back-up, along with a stud extractor? Beyond PB-Blaster, anything else needed to make the job go smoother, or to have available in case the job goes south?

OP
OP
J

jeff1998

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A right angle drill would help with the stud extractor also. You may want to get some thread inserts and tap in the right size just in case you have to drill them all the way out. The welding trick is the best way to get them out. The heat from it swells the aluminum on the heads and allows it to free up. I would find someone who has a small wire welder available to use. You will be suprised how easy they come out after heating them up like that. The new nut welded on also give you a new surface to grad to get them to break loose.

RocketTech

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'll see if I can borrow a welder (can't justify even $350-$400 for a decent small one), I have a MAPP gas torch for plain-old heat. I'll have a stud extractor set as well. I guess I'll wait until the headers come in to double-check which size thread insert I might need.
I'm planning on replacing the studs with these:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PHP-20010/?rtype=10
coated with LubroMoly LM508 Anti-Seize