Heater core flush help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joeyg8

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got the heater core like warm problem. Gona do a flush to see if that works but what hose do I flush te water into

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Inlet has a hose clamp at the manifold, outlet has the spring clamp.
Before flushing I'd check the hose temp with a hot engine, both should be hot. Does your cooling system have a bunch of crap in it? If not, the core won't clog. Easy way to check is to drain some coolant and remove the upper radiator hose at the radiator. The inner walls of the hose will tell a story.

OP
OP
J

joeyg8

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Could a bad t stat cause this? My temp gauge is at about 1/4 when I'm driving

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes. If it is stuck open it will take longer to heat up and may not reach operating temp. at all.

splintrcel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
if you do have a bunch of shit in the system, what is hte best way to get it out. My coolant was mud colored when i dumped it cuz my parents were too lazy to change it. My heater core in the front doesnt heat up very much but the back heater core seems to work pretty well. I already changed the thermostat.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chances are if the heater core is partially blocked so is your radiator. Good excuse to upgrade to a 2 core if yours isn't already. I flushed mine after I pulled the water pump out to replace it. Plus you can see the condition of the cooling passages with it out.

Last edited:

Captain Morgan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The flush is just a small jug of liquid you buy and you pour it in to the system and let it run for some period of time, according to the label. Pour it in when the engine is cool, run it for the set time, then let the engine cool again and flush out everything until the water is only 100% clear. You will need to turn over the engine so the water pump can push clean water through.

Antifreeze and the distillates that you will use to clean are deadly poison, please discard this water in a manner where animals or children have no access to it. It can not be allowed to run off in to a drain, drainage or waterway unless highly diluted. There is no cure for this poison, so pretend you are emptying out cyanide.

The EPA states:

How do I dispose of used antifreeze?

First, you should check with your local sewage treatment office. The sewage treatment department may allow small amounts (a few quarts) to be poured down the toilet or sink with lots of water dilution. If you have large quantities or this practice is prohibited by the local government, contact service stations or used oil collection stations. There may be a small fee charged. Waste disposal/recycling companies can handle large (commercial) quantities of antifreeze.

"Antifreeze is usually used as an engine coolant. It contains either the chemical ethylene glycol or propylene glycol. Ethylene glycol is very toxic. It is so toxic that only one small ounce can be fatal. If it is disposed improperly antifreeze poses a potential health hazard and may pollute the ground water, or the surface water and of course the drinking water supplies. Flushing the used antifreeze down the drain is the worse way to get rid of it. Although the antifreeze may be biodegradable, households on septic systems should not dispose it the antifreeze down the drain. Even in a diluted form, antifreeze can overwhelm and destroy the bacterial action in your septic system and drain. Most states vary in the way that the handle the recycling and the antifreeze laws.The best way is to find the RCRA hotline which is 1-800-424-9346 and they will give you also information for your particular area."