Heater core questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sk8ordie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well just got back from a road trip and the truck did awesome except for 1 thing.... Pretty sure i need a new heater core as i can smell coolant when its on. But what threw me for a loop was when i have the a/c on and temp knob turned 3/4 to coolest setting fog starts coming out of the vents. If the knob is turned to the coldest setting no fog. Ive never seen this this happen before so im confused. Is this heater core related or not? It still blows cold either way and i didnt try the the heat. Can i bypass the heater core until i can replace? Does this truck have 2 cores one for the front and one for the rear air? If so, can i bypass the front and still have the rear work? Thanx for any info.

OP
OP
sk8ordie

sk8ordie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After a little research I also want to note that it happened when we left the hotel in Anaheim CA to go to Disneyland and it was foggy outside. Now that im back in the desert i will try it again on my way to work tonight.

chucks97expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you smell antifreeze from your vents then yeah I would suspect a heater core leak. Check your antifreeze level in the overflow, Check the passenger carpet up under the dash to see if its wet(that's where I noticed mine) and also look under the truck on the passenger side for signs of leaking. You might have a leaking hose that you can smell when your driving as the air is pulled in from the outside. Check all your hoses and things like that first. The heater core is a pain in the A@# job to do. Yes you do have a rear heater core if you have rear heat/AC, mine does. As far as bypassing the heater core? you probably can but that would involve cutting the heater core hoses and connecting something in-between them( like a small T that's used in an antifreeze flush kit) If you bypass it then you won't have front heat and i'm pretty sure it takes a while before the rear heat is hot enough to heat the whole truck, as it's meant to supplement your existing heat and not be the main heater for the truck. One thing, when you turn the heat on in the front it activates the rear control. If I'm correct your fan would still be blowing in the front and most likely blowing cool air all the time if your heater core is disconnected. Just a thought.

Last edited: