Help CM chose new Headlight \ Foglight housings and HIDs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

Captain Morgan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was scrutinizing your pics in the past 2 days and observing the difference in halogen and HID comparison.

The new housing have new bulbs in them, so I'll get that mounted then rig the new HIDS for a test and see how it goes.

axl_rose

Reaction score
FWIW, As an alternative to the high/low kit I had found an HID kit that had an additional bulb attached to the bulb housing that would act as a high beam...granted it wasn't any stronger then a DRL but, with the HID light output, I never needed high beam. I ran that kit in my KIA for three years with out issue. Never had any hassles from the fuzz or getting the car inspected. In NC you have to have high and low beams on cars to pass.

I had bought the kit off of ebay back in '07. You might find a similar kit if you are not interested in the high/low kits being sold.

OP
OP
C

Captain Morgan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thx. I have a dual bulb base on the way from China, but they keep making excuses about the snow and holidays. Where Tom Hanks when I need my $#@! packages! :D

I'm also thinking of just buying a REAL projector and retrofitting a housing.

I have one headlight set right here but I'm sending it back. I want to put a protective film over the investment and that requires the surface to be completely flat and smooth, no nipples or dimples on the face.

axl_rose

Reaction score
Thx. I have a dual bulb base on the way from China, but they keep making excuses about the snow and holidays. Where Tom Hanks when I need my $#@! packages! :D

I followed the thread but, which one did you end up getting? I'd like a dual bulb housing but, I don't want all that halo crap.

OP
OP
C

Captain Morgan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
THIS is what I have already.

If you look really closely, like I didn't, you can see there are protrusions on the surface.

Also, I'm leaning towards just not putting any HIDs in a halogen reflector housing.

I also don't care about the halo crap, and I want to get a quote to put some projectors in a housing. A clean headlight with a single real projector looks smart enough.

Or maybe something like THIS but change out the fake projector and reflector with real projectors in their place.

If I can use this dual bulb great, if not I'll sell it on CL.

Attachments

• mlhk10s35a-7.jpg
    mlhk10s35a-7.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

axl_rose

Reaction score
THIS is what I have already.

If you look really closely, like I didn't, you can see there are protrusions on the surface.

In that housing, it looks like there are two headlight bulb sockets and then the amber piece at the bottom is where the turn signal bulb goes. That would be three bulbs total then, correct?

I saw some of those Lightning Headlights with dual sockets - one halogen and one projector style...Like these. It still retains the stock corners though - it's not one piece.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Captain Morgan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Correct there are 3 bulbs, 1 HID and 1 Halogen for headlights, one signal\park.

That lightening you posted looks OK, but the projectors could still be plastic lenses and\or made for halogen, not HID. This would still have better focus than reflectors, but if the bulb is even 1 or 2 mm too far back or fwd then you don't have beam focus and not really optimum, just not as blinding.

axl_rose

Reaction score
Good point, Probably best to get a retro-fit if we want true projection headlights. I have gotten lucky in the past converting to projection HIDS but, the car came with halogen projector housings from the factory. The cut-off was pretty sharp still.

I am prob going to get the smoke set up you got and put a in one hid bulb (35w) and one halogen bulb.