help gotta pull uhaul trailer but losing power while accelerating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Plavin1991

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Im going camping next weekend and its gonna b me and five others riding in my truck so I have no room inside for all our camping gear... for some reason this past week I feel as tho my truck is magicly just giving up on me its a freaking champ never had any problems 2001 with 202k got an oil change last night and nothing changed I figured maybe she was just feeling like crap due to me being about 400 miles late...

Getting to the point.. while crusing at 45-50ish if I were to push down a lil on the accelerator normally she would down shift and gradually pick up.. now its sorta like I push the gas and the rpms will more about 100 or 200 higher and drop right back to where they were.. wtf!? If I floor it she will downshift and rpms will rise to 3k nd pick up decent but i feel as tho something isnt right here.. I my gf accidently poured a whole big bottle of lucas gas treatment into a full tank when I asked her to pour some and I walked away (mistake) no mods. Nothing just weird could it be the lucas?! Please everyone... anyone help my baby... big Bertha!

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
When was the last time that:

Fuel filter was changed?
Transmission serviced (new filter & fluid)?
Mass airflow sensor cleaned?
Throttle position sensor checked / replaced?

The problem is, that with over 200k on the clock, it could easily also be a mechanical issue.

OP
OP
Plavin1991

Plavin1991

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When was the last time that:

Fuel filter was changed?
Transmission serviced (new filter & fluid)?
Mass airflow sensor cleaned?
Throttle position sensor checked / replaced?

The problem is, that with over 200k on the clock, it could easily also be a mechanical issue.

Havnt done any of those... I guess ima have to try and search all those up and do what I can before friday... I know I cant do the whole trans thing... how much do u think a shop would charge For trans service?

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Be careful with generic a 'trans service'. Most of them just drain and refill the fluid. With all those miles on your truck, you want a full service, with a new filter and the correct Mercron V fluid.

As for the fuel filter, just about any place can do that.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What color/condition is the trans fluid?
Is the shifting normal or lazy?
There are many things that can cause the rise in rpm - tough to diagnose on a forum when you can't be there.

A few things come to mind: low or dirty trans fluid, worn bands, possible torque converter clutch problem.

Try the additional peddle with over drive turned off and see if it increases rpm. It may be dropping out of od then going back in.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Not sure what size lucas fuel treatment you put in but its possible it has effected octane or overall powerlevel, possibly even fouled a plug to the point of random misfire if it grossly exceeded the recommended level ?!

Guess you will know your with your next fill up.

I do know the PCM determines shift point based on rpm and throttle position. But generally you give it more throttle the higher the load..

This would help.. :p

Lightning F 150 5 4 supercharger Kit w Intercooler Blower Wiring Harness Setup | eBay

tojohnso

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First thing I would do is replace the fuel filter. Maybe dump as much fuel as you can (drive around?) then replace it. Fill with new fuel and if problem persists, you may have a fuel pump problem. With over 200K miles, it seems like what you described could be the pump.

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
sitting behind the monitor here, i believe a lot of the routine/preventive maintenance issues described above may resolve your situation.

trans is easy IMHO; suggest the OEM trans filter & MERCON V.
In addition to MAF, air cleaner too.
Thermostat ever changed?
Rear diff and additive (if you have the posi-trac diff)?
Is there a brake caliper/emerg brake perhaps dragging?

PanHandler.

OP
OP
Plavin1991

Plavin1991

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey everyone thanks for ur advice... but the motor blew on me this morning.. still dont know what that problem was.. even with the motor sounding like deather cans banging around for some od reasom I dont have a cel on! Wth!