High Flow Filter - Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

06king

Reaction score
I just removed the stock air filter and silencer and replaced it with a K&N Air filter.

1. Removed the elbow & silencer box assembly (no tools required - the elbow side just pulls out - with a slight up/down movement. The silencer box pulls up - it's connected by 2 slots on rubber grommets - it also pulls straight off from the inside fender).

2. Separated the silencer box from the elbow which connects to the air filter box (that was a lot harder than I thought - but it just pulls right off - after twisting for a bit).

2a. Cleaned the inside of the elbow from dust/dirt.

3. I used a old air tube (from my 5.0 Mustang - which happened to fit both the K&N filter and stock elbow openings) to connect the K&N to the elbow.

4. Made sure it sealed properly.

5. Removed air filter and cleaned the inside of the filter case.

6. Reinstalled the elbow w/ the K&N attached to it.

Options I am considering:

1. Might use 1/2 of the original silencer (the front area) to provide cold air directly to the filter - this might be more effective in hot climates.

2. Might have to secure the front of the filter (it's free standing - only attached to the elbow, but another bracket on the front of the filter would make it stronger.

Here's how it looks.
picture.jpg

picture.jpg

picture.jpg

picture.jpg

OP
OP
06king

06king

Reaction score
Driving Experience... I didn't notice (or expect) much difference in drivability or performance, but I do notice a louder / deeper sound from the engine. Gas mileage has remained the same.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
looks good...might get more cold air when you remove your cold fronts

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks - your Expy looks amazing btw :) What do you mean my "cold fronts" ?

in for answer to this as well, because i have a similar set up

see the shinny stuff in the top grill....look at the bottom grill...unless the light is messing with the picture...those are cold fronts that are put in during the winter time to reduce the sub-zero air moving through the engine bay...was stationed in alaska and in north dakota and during the winter...you see trucks/suv's with the cold fronts in them...spring/summer/fall theyre out...

you are in canada...lol

IAExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I see what you're talking about, I thought he just had a chrome grille insert... i don't have that on mine, so no worries here