hitch stuck!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aburk1978

Reaction score
Hello. I just bought a 2001 EB 5.4 and the PO must have had the hitch in the receiver since day one because that sob won't budge for NOTHING! They had a locking hitch pin that I had to use an angle grinder to remove because I didn't have a key. Sooooo....I have beat the piss out of it with a sledge hammer and hosed it down with PB Blaster, heated it up with a torch....you name it. Anyone know of any tricks to get this damn thing out of here? I have a WD hitch I need to get set up for camping season, but need to get this rusted POS out first. Not gonna resort to anything drastic involving large trees and chains unless I absolutely have to. Thanks in advance!!!

B

bedrck46

I also have a 2001 with factory hitch and just went and looked at it. The receiver is hollow so you may be able to try knocking out the hitch from the back side. If the Hitch is a hollow hitch you could try using a sawall to cut it and may weaken it some

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bedrck46

another option would be to remove the receiver and take it to shop and have them press the hitch out

OP
OP
A

aburk1978

Reaction score
I also have a 2001 with factory hitch and just went a looked at it. The receiver is hollow so you may be able to try knocking out the hitch from the back side. If the Hitch is a hollow hitch you could try using a sawall to cut it and may weaken it some

Yeah, I noticed that its hollow but I can't get a good swing at it with the sledge because the spare tire is in the way. I'm gonna remove the spare tomorrow to give me more room, so hopefully that will help.

B

bedrck46

soak it real good from the back side suggest you get a solid bar to use

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
I'd be worried that if it really is that rusted together, you may not want to use the receiver once the ball mount is removed any way. Even if you don't damage it in the removal process, the receiver is going to be somewhat deteriorated.

You may just want to replace the whole hitch and save yourself some aggravation, (especially if you plan on doing some moderately heavy towing.

VTfireftr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had the same problem with my 2005 F 250. Especially in the winter with all the road salt and crap that's used in New England.

This may sound drastic but it worked for me.

Find a really solid hardwood tree. Take a grade 70 chain and wrap it around the tree and attach it to the ball mount (remove the ball and use a strong clevis hook to attach the chain to the ball mount).

SLOWLY drive away from the tree. DO NOT get a running start or anything that could possibly pull the tree down on top of your Expedition.

I had to use 4 low on my pickup but it did do the job.

Before using the tree, I had the chain attached to my backhoe bucket and tried to use my tractor to remove the ball mount. All I did was pull the truck closer to the tractor (even with my wife in the truck and her applying the brakes!)

AS always, I take NO responsibility for anything that may go wrong or get broken! And make sure you don' wrap the chain around the actual ball. Bad things will happen.

Good luck!

RayBeakley

Reaction score
Maybe

Hi,
Years ago I had to beat one out with a hammer. Couldn't connect with a sledge, so used a carpenter hammer. Surprisingly the tree thing didn't work.
Lately though, I think I might try an air hammer, or air chisel with the right tip. I have had to use this on rusted parts on my bronco. As with any tool,
some are better than others.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Use a little impact theory....
The tree idea will work if you apply some tension to the chain and hitch. Basically put a load on it. Hit each side of the ball mount with a sledge hammer. You may need to hit side to side and up/down. Don't hit the car of course.

OP
OP
A

aburk1978

Reaction score
Well....I ended up hooking up a forklift with a tow rope and putting tension on it and then beat it out with a 3lb sledge. Took about 5 minutes of beating the hell out of it, but with all that tension pulling on it, it actually worked. Thanks form all the suggestions!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edyk1986