How can i get more towing power...?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

njltr450

Reaction score
I have a 2002 with a 4.6 L. I do a lot of towing from a 3500 lbs flat bed with atvs on it...all the way up to 8000 lbs ± with a tow hauler. I hate the fact that I can only 30 MPH up the hills and just don't have what it takes to get up and going with the motor sounding like it wants to blow. Do I need to change rear diff ratio...or is there another way that could be easier and less expensive...? I live in La Verne, Ca in Los angeles county if you know of any shops in the area please let me know.

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
what is you current gear ratio and tire size??? the 4.6 just doesnt make the torque... a tuner will help some, cold air intake, headers, cat back exhaust... get the engine breathing better

OP
OP
N

njltr450

Reaction score
Thanks for your responce. I would like to know how to find out the stock gear ratio...? I have called a couple random places to find out and just seems that no has the same answer on how to find out...?!
I am just running a base semi stock set up...
K&N Air Intake..., Flowmaster muffler (ONLY)
16 inch wheels on 265 / 70 Wrangler Silent Armor A/T
What does a tuner cost... or I guess I should say... best place to shop for after market Expedition parts....?
Thanks

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
There should be a metal tag on the diff, that is the sure way to know. You can also lookup the code on the door sticker, assuming that no one made any changes to the rear end.

Way #3 is to put it in neutral and jack up the rear end. Put reference marks on the tires and the driveshaft. Then spin the driveshaft and count how many times it goes around to make the tire spin one complete revolution.

Then spin one of the tires by hand, if someone can easily hold the other rear tire, it probably has an open diff. (the tire may actually want to spin in the opposite direction). If it's hard to hold back and spins in the same direction, then you have a Limited Slip.

As for more power, short of a blower, you're just not going to be able to make a huge difference. Don't get me wrong, all those little bolt on things help. A programmer will help too, but it's not going to make it feel like a 5.4.

Last edited:

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i agree it wont be like a 5.4... with stock tires im thinking 4.10 will be too low and 3.73 might be just about rite depending what ratio you have....

OP
OP
N

njltr450

Reaction score
Cool! Thanks so much for the info. Looks like I might have to just ink up on a new ride to get what I want. Thanks again for your help

gijohn45

Reaction score
it probably already has 3.73 gears and 4.10 or even 4.56 will help alot but like has already been posted nothing helps that poor 4.6

dfrai

Reaction score
I got the same problem. I have a 4.6 trying to haul a 12x6 enclosed trailer/ work shop back and forth to work and home everyday (usually 75 miles). When I 1st got the trailer, I thought I was gonna blow the engine so I got a KN filter which helped alot. Next, I tried a tried a chip off ebay that hooks up to the IAT sensor. DO Not buy into that. It only makes your engine run rich and really jacks up your other sensors not to mention what kind of damage it does to the inside of your engine. My recomendation is:
1. KN filter(or free flow system).
2. Flowmaster 40 duals w/freeflow cats. (loud as hell w/ enclosed trailer but it allows you to hear any problems and I just love that sound).
3. Underdrive pulleys.
4. Jet performance chip.
5. Supercharger? ($4-5000, I'll trade up)
Thats where I'm at right now with my towing problem. The Expy runs like a bat out of hell w/o the trailer but I'm still lacking power and torque w/ trailer when going against 20+ winds. I want to upgrade to a newer and bigger engine but I love my 2000 Expy with the non plastic intake manifold.

driverjohn2005

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2002 with a 4.6 L. I do a lot of towing from a 3500 lbs flat bed with atvs on it...all the way up to 8000 lbs ± with a tow hauler. I hate the fact that I can only 30 MPH up the hills and just don't have what it takes to get up and going with the motor sounding like it wants to blow. Do I need to change rear diff ratio...or is there another way that could be easier and less expensive...? I live in La Verne, Ca in Los angeles county if you know of any shops in the area please let me know.

If you are doing "a lot" of towing I would simply sell your current Expy with the 4.6L and upgrade to the 5.4L ;)